UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
> Making A Dll... Or Should I?    

nuclear_nick
post Jul 6 2019, 03:01 PM
Post#1

Background... saw Visual Studio was available for my work computer (through IT app). Didn't install, kept hanging. A few years later, company switches to O365, and I end up with a new computer, and IT puts VS on it.

So finally, I can play/learn VS.

I thought, as a first project to learn with, I'd take a VBA module and convert it into a DLL, see if it would run faster that way. The module hasn't changed and has been running fine since 2003, so I thought it would be a good candidate. It's simply a date "converter"... for example, give it a year and it will return the first date in the fiscal year. Give it a date, and it will return the fiscal year the date occurs in... there are a few other "conversions", but I'm certain you get the point.

So... my question is... should I? Would it really make it faster? I know I would learn something, but is it the right thing to learn? What are the pitfalls of creating a DLL like this, besides registration and distribution to the users of the database(s)?

Looking for good feedback...

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.
Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    4th July 2020 - 01:08 AM