UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Connectivity/security Issue In New Environment, Access 2016    

dg_moore
post Jun 7 2019, 05:52 PM
Post#1

I have a split Access 2016 application with backend in an accdb on one of four networked workstations, and a copy of the front end on each of the four workstations. The application can be accessed locally on each workstation, and each remote station can be accessed remotely using AnyDesk. This arrangement has been working flawlessly for a long time. We just replaced the 4 workstations and reinstalled the front and back end accdb's, and now we are getting errors, e.g. "this recordset cannot be updated" and "this database is already in use." These errors do not occur with the front end application on the workstation on which the backend accdb is hosted, only on the other three networked computers.I have checked table linking, folder permissions, and Trust Center settings and cannot find anything wrong in those areas. Does anybody have any idea what else I should be looking at?
This post has been edited by dg_moore: Jun 7 2019, 06:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 8 2019, 12:15 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

"..."this database is already in use..."

As a general rule, you'll see that message if the network folder where the BE resides is not configured for all users of the accdb to have read/write/delete permissions on the folder and files in it.

Since you've confirmed that all users do have those permissions ("...cannot find anything wrong in those areas"). I'd have to wonder if somehow the accdb itself has been marked "read-only". I've seen that happen when copying files. It may be worth checking that as well.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

dg_moore
post Jun 8 2019, 12:27 PM
Post#3

Thanks, George - I thought the same thing, but couldn't find anything that suggested it in the configuration. Fortunately, a colleague who is more network adept than I am finally found that there was a problem with Microsoft network/workgroup settings that apparently has not been resolved yet. He was able to change some settings (not sure exactly which ones) and the problem has been solved. Microsoft's track record with troubleshooting help and useful error messages continues to be pretty poor.

Anyway, we seem to have gotten back on track.

Thanks!

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 8 2019, 01:04 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

Sadly, "network issues" are always going to be with us.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2019 - 02:44 AM