UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Append Query Drops Cents, Any Versions    

bakersburg9
post Oct 30 2018, 01:29 PM
Post#1

I ran an append query that updates a linked table in SharePoint - the data source is a table where the data type for the Invoice Amount field is Double / 2 Decimel places - this is only the 2nd time I've done this, with no success - 160 dollars even shows up as "160," not "160.00"

How can I remedy this ?

Edit: Sorry for the "weak" quality of the screen shot, but you get the idea . . .
This post has been edited by bakersburg9: Oct 30 2018, 01:30 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SharepointDropsZeros.png ( 30.74K )Number of downloads: 6

Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Oct 30 2018, 02:29 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Unless I'm missing something, your complaint seems to be about formatting, not value, because 160 and 160.00 are both the same value.

If this impacts your ability to display the values on a form, set the Format property of the text box.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/AccessIndex.html
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

bakersburg9
post Oct 30 2018, 02:43 PM
Post#3

set the Format property of the text box.
there's no text box - it is about formatting - I have a table with records in Access - I created an Append query to append to sharepoint via a table link - the data shows as 160.00 in the table - the datatype is "Double" set to 2 decimel places when I run the query, it updates sharepoint fine, but the amounts show as 160, not 160.00 - don't know what it would do if there were some actual cents...

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 30 2018, 04:05 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

As Doug said, I'm pretty sure it's a FORMAT FOR DISPLAY issue. If you have values that include pennies, they should show up. Is that NOT happening now with your test data?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

Doug Steele
post Oct 30 2018, 06:25 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Have you checked whether it captures cents correctly? I'm betting you find it does...

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/AccessIndex.html
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

BruceM
post Oct 31 2018, 09:13 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

there's no text box

Are you saying you aren't seeing the decimal portion when viewing the table directly? If so, you can format the table field, but the place to apply the format is wherever you display the data, which shouldn't be the table directly. As has been suggested/asked, what happens when you import a value that includes decimal values?
the datatype is "Double" set to 2 decimal places

Currency would be a better choice, most likely. You can get unexpected results because of rounding errors when working with Double (or Single) values. In my experience these are most likely to cause problems with comparisons. A string of mathematical operations may show the result 5.00, but is really 5.00000001. This matters if you are using <= 5 as a criteria, for instance. It looks like the value is <= 5, but behind the scenes Access will interpret it as > 5. Currency data type avoids this potential problem, which can be quite vexing.

bakersburg9
post Oct 31 2018, 09:23 AM
Post#7

Thanks! I'm going to try Currency next time - we'll see what happens

BruceM
post Oct 31 2018, 09:46 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

OK, good luck. Just keep in mind that how data are stored and how they are displayed are different things.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th November 2018 - 04:14 PM