UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Report Refresh When List Selection Changes, Access 2007    

Kaarlo Tuomi
post Jun 18 2019, 12:24 AM
Post#1

good morning UtterAccess folks,

I have a report: rpt_portrait

this report takes its criteria from a form: subform_athlete

using the form, you select a person, then when you run the report it presents data on the person you selected.

all this works and I am very happy with it.

except, the way the report updates when you select a different person.

this morning I added a new sub-report to the report and while testing this did the following several times:

1. select a new person on the form
2. click the Refresh Button on the ribbon

this refreshed the report and the details of the new person were properly propagated in the report.

happy with this I closed the report and ACCESS asked me if I wanted to save my changes so I clicked Yes.

now, when I open the report it will not refresh when I select a new person.
if I want it to refresh I have to change to design view and then back to report view.

so my question is: How do I change the report back to where it refreshes from the Refresh button on the ribbon?

of possible interest is the observation that the report did not update correctly before this morning. it was annoying and I kept meaning to get round to fixing it, then it starting doing it during this morning's edit which made me very happy, then stopped after I clicked `Yes' to save my changes.

many thanks,

Kaarlo Tuomi
Go to the top of the page

Phil_cattivocara...
post Jun 18 2019, 01:58 AM
Post#2

QUOTE (Kaarlo Tuomi)
2. click the Refresh Button on the ribbon

What is this "Refresh Button" on the ribbon? where does it act, on the form or on the report?

How do you open the report? Report is done to be printed, not to display data on your screen (or at least you take a preview and then you print it)

It is difficult to help you without seeing your code or a demo database.

--------------------
Please forgive in advance my horrible English.

June7
post Jun 18 2019, 02:02 AM
Post#3

Presume you open report in ReportView because Refresh is not available for PrintPreview.

I am not able to replicate this issue.

If you want to provide db, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
This post has been edited by June7: Jun 18 2019, 02:03 AM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

Kaarlo Tuomi
post Jun 18 2019, 04:42 AM
Post#4

Phil_cattivocara said: What is this "Refresh Button" on the ribbon? where does it act, on the form or on the report?

on the ribbon, on the Home tab, there is a button labelled `Refresh All'. I call it the Refresh button because I don't know what else to call it but this being a Microsoft product it probably has some obscure name that no normal human could be expected to know or remember.

my understanding is that it acts on all open database objects; any open forms, any underlying queries, the report, everything. that would be my understanding of what `Refresh All' means, but I admit that I might be wrong.

this page explains it in Microsoft lingo.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/re...d5-a472e742366c

How do you open the report?

in the navigation pane, I double click on the report and it opens.

Report is done to be printed, not to display data on your screen (or at least you take a preview and then you print it)

even if this is true, I'm afraid I don't understand what it has to do with my question.

I don't own a printer.

I produce reports specifically to display formatted information on my screen.
what other folk do with their reports is not really germane.

June7 said: Presume you open report in ReportView because Refresh is not available for PrintPreview.

I open them in report view because that seems to be the default when you click on the report in the Navigation pane.
I have never used print preview because I do not have a printer and do not print stuff.

many thanks,

Kaarlo Tuomi

June7
post Jun 18 2019, 06:15 AM
Post#5

It opens in ReportView automatically because report DefaultView property is set for that.

As I said, I cannot replicate issue.

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

Phil_cattivocara...
post Jun 18 2019, 07:21 AM
Post#6

QUOTE (Kaarlo Tuomi)
on the ribbon, on the Home tab, there is a button labelled `Refresh All'...
Now I have understood. I read that link and it says it should be used in situation of shared database over a network (and much more). I never used that button, principally because my little databases are single and local use and because when I want "an update" I use code.
I also understand you are a bit confused about my questions, that seems to have nothing to do with your problem... but there are often little details which make the difference.
You should never use navigation pane to interact with object (as a final user, not as programmer of course). You should always use code associated with buttons in forms.
Report View is a "strange" view. It is such a half way between Form and old style report. Some events does not occur in Report View but only in Preview View (and real print, of course, but let's consider for this thread preview as print, ok? )
Report view gives you "interaction" with report but... you should not need it, you should interact with forms! I never use that kind of view, only preview (and if it is ok then i send to printer) to be sure everything goes as I want.
So: default view = Preview, always (for me). You can change it in design mode.
After an update in a form, reopen the report, do not "refresh all".

--------------------
Please forgive in advance my horrible English.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd July 2019 - 11:52 AM