UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Filter Table Datasheet View, Any Version    

pdanes
post Apr 30 2019, 05:05 AM
Post#1

When I have a table displayed in datasheet view, the field names hava a little arrow at the right side, which sometimes displays a list of available values for filtering, and sometimes not. I have looked at a bunch of tutorials, and found no mention of limits, although at a rough guess, it seems to be when there are many values to be displayed, that Access gives up. Also, dates sometimes display a list of values, and sometimes a generic set of date filtering option, like today, yesterday, last week, next week, and so on.

Does anyone know what Access uses to select what it will offer in this dropdown option?
Go to the top of the page

Phil_cattivocara...
post Apr 30 2019, 05:21 AM
Post#2

This is Microsoft's page which explains something about your need: Apply a filter to view select records in an Access database

--------------------
Please forgive in advance my horrible English.

pdanes
post Apr 30 2019, 06:01 AM
Post#3

Yes, that is one of the sites I read. About one third of the way down the page, there is this statement:

"Except for OLE Object fields and fields that display calculated values, all field types offer common filters. The list of filters that are available depends on the selected field's data type and values."

However, that does not answer what I asked. What I am curious about is when and why the list of displayed values for filtering changes, or is not offered at all. I suppose that has something to do with the last phrase: "...depends on the selected field's data type and values." The page offers no explanation of what those dependencies are, and that is what I am asking about.

projecttoday
post Apr 30 2019, 06:12 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I believe the question was: What does Access offer when you click on the arrow at the top of the column in table view? Does this article address that, Phil, and if so where?

I don't know the answer either. But since you're no longer on the unanswered list, I'll let you know what I think: it's based on the number of values, not the number of records (or data type). So a table can have two million records but if the column only has a total of 25 distinct values, then you get the individual selections. If the column has many thousands (or more) distinct values, then you just get the Equals, etc.

Just saw pdanes response after typing this.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

pdanes
post Apr 30 2019, 07:13 AM
Post#5

I think you're right, that it depends on the number of distinct values it would have to offer, and if that is too large, it gives up. But I don't know for certain, and I would rather not launch a series of exhaustive tests if someone already knows the answer. But I may have to.

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 30 2019, 07:41 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Does this help?

Attached File  Filteroptions.jpg ( 327.63K )Number of downloads: 13

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

pdanes
post Apr 30 2019, 08:17 AM
Post#7

It does indeed, sir - thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for, and I had no idea it even existed. If you ever visit Prague, the beer is on me.

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 30 2019, 08:27 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

Hmm. Prague is on my Bucket List, but beer? In a long distant past, I'm afraid.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Apr 30 2019, 06:02 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Good to know. I've noticed this while testing. Of course, we don't recommend a table view (or query view) as part of the finished database that the users see.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th June 2019 - 03:48 PM