UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Index Func, Office 2010    

SemiAuto40
post Feb 8 2019, 05:01 PM
Post#1

Trying to help a friend with a very complicated formula.
CODE
=IF(ROWS(E$5:E22)>$E$1,"",INDEX('Master (2)'!H$2:'Master (2)'!H$2:H4065,SMALL(IF(Master[Product For]=$B$1,ROW(Master[Product For])-ROW('Master (2)'!$H$2)+1),ROWS(E$5:E22))))

This formula is on tab 'Asta' and looks at tab 'Master (2)' to look for any matches of the text string in $B$1 of the selected tab 'Asta'.

The problem is how do I use a text string wildcard for the value found in $B$1?? For example if the value in $B$1 is ABC how do I include from tab Master (2) rows which contain ABCD?

Thank you for your time.
Go to the top of the page

Debaser
post Feb 9 2019, 05:05 AM
Post#2

Instead of:

IF(Master[Product For]=$B$1

use:

IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($B$1,Master[Product For]))

to locate it anywhere in the cell. If you want case sensitivity (eg abc is not the same as ABC) then use FIND instead of SEARCH.

SemiAuto40
post Feb 9 2019, 09:48 AM
Post#3

*My original formula (which currently works to only retrieve the exact text in $B$1) had curly braces at both ends (I think this has something to do with an array), and I forgot to show them in my original post - or they got removed somehow.
CODE
{=IF(ROWS(E$5:E22)>$E$1,"",INDEX('Master (2)'!H$2:'Master (2)'!H$2:H4065,SMALL(IF(Master[Product For]=$B$1,ROW(Master[Product For])-ROW('Master (2)'!$H$2)+1),ROWS(E$5:E22))))}

My new formula is now with debaser's suggestion is:
CODE
{=IF(ROWS(E$5:E22)>$E$1,"",INDEX('Master (2)'!H$2:'Master (2)'!H$2:H4065,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($B$1,Master[Product For])),ROW(Master[Product For])-ROW('Master (2)'!$H$2)+1),ROWS(E$5:E22))))}

**For some reason when I place this in the formula all I see is the exact text including the braces in the cell itself??

If I exclude the braces like this and place the formula behind a cell:
CODE
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($B$1,Master[Product For])),"Found")

then the value showing in the cell is FALSE. I know that the contents of Master[Product For] on the Master (2) tab is present in the form that my cell $B$1 contents are. I'm not getting the excel ISNUMBER function aspect of this.

Note: Since the original formula works as it is - to get ONLY the exact text setting in $B$1, that's not the problem. The problem is trying to get wildcard values to what is in $B$1 like the COUNTIF function does.
CODE
=COUNTIF(Master[Product For],"*"&$B$1&"*")

Wildcards don't seem to work when I put the same terms in the original working formula.

I greatly appreciate a resolution to this if I can get one to work.
This post has been edited by SemiAuto40: Feb 9 2019, 10:15 AM

Debaser
post Feb 9 2019, 10:11 AM
Post#4

Don't type the curly brackets. Type the formula without them but then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter and not just enter. You should then see the curly brackets appear around the formula.

SemiAuto40
post Feb 9 2019, 10:42 AM
Post#5

Thank you debaser for that tip of Ctr,Shft,Enter!

Now about using a wildcard so that the contents of $B$1 can be searched with. The base problem is not using the cell reference $B$1, which already works... but using what is in $B$1 with a wildcard on both sides just like the COUNTIF function.

Thank you very much debaser!!! I think I've got it now, and I couldn't have done it without you!

Thank you for your time!
This post has been edited by SemiAuto40: Feb 9 2019, 11:31 AM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th February 2019 - 12:30 PM