UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Selector For Backend, Access 2010    

Seibert
post Feb 26 2019, 07:35 PM
Post#1

I have a database that has been operating for over two years for a business. I have picked up an additional client that I need to keep my records separate from theirs. I'm trying to avoid copying the existing database to use with the new client and having two applications of access open at the same time, to support both business. I was thinking if I could split my database I could use the same front end and then just have the two different companies in different Backends. I did some research about 1 Frontend with Multiple Backends. The items I found all pointed to using Linked Table Manager. I tried that but it just seems cumbersome and not efficient for the amount I bounce between the two. My ideal solution (if possible) would be to add a ComboBox to my main menu screen to select which Backend to add, edit, and read data from as I select the buttons for forms and reports. Is there any VBA to make that a reality? Or any other simple workarounds?
Thanks in advance
...Chris
This post has been edited by Seibert: Feb 26 2019, 07:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

MadPiet
post Feb 26 2019, 07:53 PM
Post#2

You could maybe have a label/read-0nly textbox on your form somewhere that tells you what backend you're attached to... Maybe this will help?
https://www.jstreettech.com/downloads.aspx

theDBguy
post Feb 26 2019, 08:14 PM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Chris.

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

I hope I’m wrong but it seems to me you may be setting yourself up for a big problem using two separate BE for different customers. If the information are the same across all customers, I’d say just use one BE. Otherwise, if it’s really important to keep them separate, I would recommend using separate FEs as well. The code to switch BEs would seem like to present the same complexities as using two FEs. I just think keeping everything separate would be safer. If you use a single FE and one BE for all customers, it wouldn’t be too hard to pull out specific customer data for export, if you need to.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

MadPiet
post Feb 26 2019, 08:30 PM
Post#4

And maybe make the two front ends unique in some way... (a logo on each form maybe?)

Seibert
post Feb 26 2019, 11:58 PM
Post#5

Thanks all that already have replied, I appreciate your input. Here is a little extra background on why I think I need to go down this path of single frontend with multiple backends, even though it raises some eyebrows...
I have spent the last three days trying to modify my existing database to handle multiple clients but that has proved not to be the way to go for this instance. The hours already spent in trying to add a company id field to every table, form, query and reports (145 Items not including queries with in the forms and reports and combobox sources). But even at that, there are still many problems on the ones I did get done. I have run into duplicate value issues as well as sometimes when you go to apply another filter, or unfilter a filtered form, it drops the company id filter and blends the data. Then the thought of getting up to 5 or 6 clients, to have that many open separate applications running at the same time is not a good scenario either. So that led me to thinking in this set of circumstances, it would be best to split the database with each client having its own backend and then having one frontend that can easily and quickly shift data sources if it at all possible.

Old school me remembers doing customer service for a big credit card company that handled many different credit card labels. They had a main frame system and we sat in front of the dumb terminals with the black screen with green print. The first thing when taking an incoming call we would enter a company code from the main menu based on what client line the call came in on. We were handling 51 private labels in that call center. After that, the screens were all the same but the data and calculations were unique to that card account. More than likely that same customer had another credit account from another vendor that was in the system but it was completely separate. So my logic again leads me back to a single front end that switches data sources for what I need to do here as the situation is a little similar in nature.

So I think if possible while maybe not the most popular or desirable, I think the 1 frontend and multiple backend is the lessor of the evils...But if somebody has an out of the box idea, I'll consider it. But fair warning they say if you make something idiot prof they will just build a better idiot...and I'm that guy tongue.gif
Thanks
...Chris
This post has been edited by Seibert: Feb 27 2019, 12:24 AM

MadPiet
post Feb 27 2019, 01:19 AM
Post#6

As long as you have something like a Linker routine/form and you show on your form(s) which back end you're attached to, I don't see a big problem with it. Well, provided you keep the backend structures in sync. You might want to make the logos (or something) on the forms/reports depend on what backend you're attaching to. (Basically, some means of knowing for sure which backend you're attached to.) You can get all that from your linked tables' Connection property. I think Armen Stein's JStreet Linker (I think that's what it's called) will handle this for you.

Seibert
post Feb 27 2019, 01:19 PM
Post#7

Re MadPiet:
Thanks, I used that suggestion and it is acceptable. It is way less cumbersome than using the link table manager in the ribbon. So that is a good starting point. Now to see if I can get it to work from selecting a client name from a combobox with out having a popup file window open.
On a side note: When I wrote the database a couple years ago I was forward thinking enough to have installed a MyCompanyClient information table that can hold a couple of pics. Because originally I planed on one FrontEnd and Backend and knew that I would need to keep it very visible as to which client I was working with. So All my form and reports have a sub-form/report at the top that will change automatically with names and logos. The real deal breaker to continuing in that direction was so many issues when filtering.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th June 2019 - 07:17 AM