UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are Access Files On A Server Safe And Secure?, Access 2013    

dhapp
post Jan 16 2020, 01:54 PM
Post#1

One of my clients has experienced Error# 9505 intermittently over the last two years. Very frustrating. While it has not caused any data loss, it is scary to the business owner. Is this a sign of Microsoft failing to support Access files, which are so important to the small business's ability to do business.

I have some information below regarding error Error# 9505.

My current concerns:
1. The network person for the small business is suggesting, to the business owner, to switch the back end to MySQL or SQL because it will be more stable/safe. Is this true?
2. What problems, hurdles, need to be dealt with in order to get the current front end to work with either a MySQL or SQL back end.
3. The current solution for Error# 9505 according to the article below is to make a change to the server's registry file. Is this a real solution, or possible solution. Will we ever know?
4. Is Microsoft committed to supporting MS Access?

Thank you very much.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Error Number: 9505
Error Description: “Microsoft Access has detected that this database is in an inconsistent state.” When this error message prompts up, you can click on the OK button so that MS Access program tries to repair the corrupt or damaged database on its own."

Most recent "solution": Nov 29, 2019
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/ac...06-d3a7c422dc1d

--------------------
Doug
When the eagle is away, the crow says, "I am the eagle."
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Jan 16 2020, 02:17 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Are they running any Windows 10 PCs? Did you implement the registry fix?

Microsoft is active developing Access, so I'd say they are still committed.
Typically SQL Server is more secure/stable, but then today this happened (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/abd458eb-bf5b-4a89-b831-3d90e7e5d266/the-1912-update-to-access-20162019365-breaks-the-way-linked-SQL-server-tables-with-identity?forum=accessdev)!

Also note that the inconsistent state error was cause by a Windows 10 update, not Office!

Everything comes down to your needs. SQL Server can solve some problems, but can also cause other headaches. You'll also need to rework some of your db to play nicely with SQL Server.

That all said, in the past 3-4 years, we have seen a serious decline in what is coming from Microsoft, so is switching away a bad idea?! I have transitioned a couple clients completely away from Access in the past 2 years because of downtime and other issues cause by non-stop bugs.

Will things get better? Who knows.
The one thing that has become clear is that being on the Monthly Update Channel is very dangerous for business! Switch to semi-annual or disable updates completely and manage them yourself and only install them once they have been properly tested.

It's all a big mess!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

theDBguy
post Jan 16 2020, 02:17 PM
Post#3

UA Moderator

Hi. Just one person's humble opinion...

1. True, as long as it was designed and maintained well.
2. I would expect some changes in the Front End to work with ODBC and implement some network speed efficiency techniques.
3. It's just a "workaround" and the only viable solution at the moment. Not sure when/if a permanent fix will come.
4. ?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

dhapp
post Jan 16 2020, 03:12 PM
Post#4

Daniel,

We implemented the server registry fix yesterday. I figure if we can go one full year without a 9505 then the fix is reliable. But who knows what other things will happen between now and then.

When you "transitioned a couple clients completely away from Access", what are they now using, front end?, back end?

Thank you very much for addressing my concerns.
Doug

--------------------
Doug
When the eagle is away, the crow says, "I am the eagle."

dhapp
post Jan 16 2020, 03:14 PM
Post#5

Thanks,

Pretty much what I expected.
Doug

--------------------