UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> List Of Access Migration Services / Support Consultants, Access 2016    

Bucca
post Sep 10 2019, 01:19 PM
Post#1

Hello UtterAccess,

Is there a list of consultants anywhere of companies that migrate existing Access databases to a SQL or Oracle back end and then provide support for this back end as well as consulting services and support for the still used Access front end? I work at a university and I designed a database that tracks our space. It has 40,000 space records with a number of attributes linked to each space record e.g. occupants, space types, function codes, etc. It also loosely "connects" with other systems with exports of data into those systems.

Some feel it may be time to migrate this to a more robust back end but this begs the question what about support for the front end that would still exist and some suggest finding a "canned"system to does the space management and where they provide all the support for both the front and back end.

Thus, I'm doing some research to find out what kind of services do what I briefly described above. I don't think my system is big enough nor does it have a lot of users to look for a canned system so the migration seems a stronger possibility.

Is anyone aware of a sound solid company that has been around and does this as their core business?

Bucca

P.S. Eventually this will need to go out to bid and use our state laws and regulations but until that time I am free to communicate and do research about companies. A some point a Request for Qualification, Information, Proposal, etc. will be generated an then things become much more formal.

--------------------
Bucca
Thain of the Shire
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Sep 10 2019, 01:25 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

No, not per say, but you can contact most Access MVPs and/or VIPs from this site, many provide such services.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 10 2019, 02:13 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

We can't really maintain such a list here for a couple of reasons.

One would be that it might imply endorsements of those on the list, which we can't really offer.

That said, of course, feel free to reach out to any of the regular contributors here at UA to see if any of them have time and interest. I know several do make their living doing exactly what you describe.

Keep in mind, though, that if you intend to put out an RFP, some developers might be hesitant to invest in a lot of discovery with you knowing that they'll end up bidding against other developers later.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

tina t
post Sep 10 2019, 02:20 PM
Post#4

I designed a database that tracks our space. It has 40,000 space records with a number of attributes linked to each space record e.g. occupants, space types, function codes, etc. It also loosely "connects" with other systems with exports of data into those systems.

Some feel it may be time to migrate this to a more robust back end

40k records is in the small range for an Access table, depending on what record size, whether external files are being stored, etc. before you go too much further, suggest you make a list of the specific improvements/advantages you want to get from migrating to SQL Server, or another RDMS. and then find out if you will actually see positive results in those specific areas by migrating.

from reading here at UA and other forums over the years, i know that there are numerous good reasons to move your data from Access to SQL Server etc; so i'm not in any way saying you shouldn't. just saying you should have a clear understanding of what you will get, and possibly what you won't, by making the move.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th September 2019 - 05:20 AM