UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't Update Table When Foreign Key Is An Empty String, Access 2013    

daviddurr
post Sep 12 2019, 11:10 AM
Post#1

I have a form that intentionally sometimes submits an empty string as the value of a text field that updates a field in table 2 that is a foreign key from table 1. The empty string needs to be stored in table 2 on the many side of a relationship that enforces integrity. The key field on the one side is set to allow zero length, yet I am still getting a key violation when I run an Update query.

I have verified that the form is sending an empty string to the query. Since the key on table 1 is set to allow zero length, shouldn't it allow me to have the empty string in table 2? It won't, I get a key violation. If I disable integrity, table 2 updates.

What am I missing?
This post has been edited by daviddurr: Sep 12 2019, 11:11 AM
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Sep 12 2019, 11:43 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi David. Welcome to UA! welcome2UA.gif

If you have Referential Integrity turned on, then I think Access won't let you use a ZLS unless you also managed to have a ZLS as a PK in the parent table. Do you have a ZLS as a PK in Table1?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 12 2019, 11:47 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

I'm afraid I need a bit more background. In Table 1, is this field the Primary Key? I see that you've set it to allow a Zero Length String, which is not what I'd normally expect to see.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

daviddurr
post Sep 12 2019, 12:32 PM
Post#4

I added one earlier as a work around, but doesn't seem like it should be necessary. It works, but I don't like making up data to get things to do what I want them to (and they should) do.

Thanks for the response. Appreciate your time.

theDBguy
post Sep 12 2019, 01:01 PM
Post#5

Hi. So, are you all sorted out now? Just wondering...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

daviddurr
post Sep 12 2019, 01:15 PM
Post#6

I suppose so. It works, I just don't like having to create a "false" piece of data just to get the form to update. Wish there were another way without adding a record to the table.

Thanks again.

theDBguy
post Sep 12 2019, 02:06 PM
Post#7

How about disabling Referential Integrity? Just a thought...

--------------------

kfield7
post Sep 12 2019, 02:16 PM
Post#8

I seem to be missing some context here.
I agree with George, a ZLS should not be acceptable as a primary key or a foreign key, the relationship is too vague.
If there's no data associated with a table record, it should not be added to the other table's FK.
If there is data, it should have an acceptable PK. (to clarify, yes you could have an acceptable PK with the other fields null, "", etc., but I'd be surprised to find anything useful having a ZLS PK.)

Can you show/change your table design?

BTW, I have in the past had to create a "fake record" -- for other reasons that I can't think of presently, maybe default values or something like that. But it always had an acceptable primary key.
This post has been edited by kfield7: Sep 12 2019, 02:21 PM

nvogel
post Sep 13 2019, 01:13 AM
Post#9

As already mentioned, you won't be able to set a foreign key as an empty string unless there is a corresponding empty string in the table being referenced. However, you can update the value to NULL if the column is nullable (meaning Required=No). No null is required in the table being referenced. Null is not the same as an empty string and it sounds like a null is what you were looking for here.

Although you could us a null in this way, it's not generally a good idea to allow nulls in foreign keys. Try to avoid or minimise your use of nulls as much as possible. You can avoid a null in this situation by putting this column into a new table and only populating that table when the (non-null) value is required.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2019 - 05:16 AM