UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Font Sizes And Types, Access 2016    

SemiAuto40
post Oct 7 2019, 01:36 PM
Post#1

I am working on a database application and am trying to make it readable and more in line with users expectations with regards to Windows apps. Which fonts and font sizes should I use. In the past I think I have gone too big and made apps look somewhat amateurish. BTW, I see Visual Studio defaults to SansSerif 8.25.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Oct 7 2019, 01:41 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

This is extremely subjective, a personal choice and somewhat dependent on screen resolution as well (the language of the application can also impact font selection). I'd urge you to create a simple mockup db and then speak with your client to determine what would best suit their needs. This way they get there say and you aren't the one making the choice. After that, you needn't worry. Client involvement in such decisions (font/size, colors, ...) are critical and should be done very early on in development.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

isladogs
post Oct 7 2019, 01:47 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

If using A2010 or later, have a look at Access themes which may give a good idea of which fonts work well together & appropriate sizes.
FWIW I use Calibri 11pt but I agree with Daniel's points completely

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

tina t
post Oct 7 2019, 02:05 PM
Post#4

i also agree with Daniel. in my apps last 10 years or so i usually use Sans Serif or Arial, and usually font size 10 - though on a few occasions considerably bigger, just depends on who's using the particular form(s) and in what environment. for the db that i use almost exclusively (in doing my regular clerical work), i deliberately use bigger fonts because i'm older and don't see so well as i used to.

i don't agree that bigger fonts look amateurish. to me a sloppy interface looks amateurish, not polished as i expect a professional app to look. and an interface that doesn't work right, even more so. fonts should fit the need - as well as you can, anyway, considering there may be a wide variety of people using an app. :)

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th November 2019 - 08:51 PM