UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linked Data In Excel, Without Access, Access 2010    

redpenner
post Jul 5 2019, 11:19 AM
Post#1

I have a split Access 2010 database where the BE is on my own PC and each staff member has a local FE, but there is also a FE on the local network for use in mail merges, linked Excel spreadsheets, etc. that anyone can use.

I've just learned that many of our staff will be losing Access in a couple of weeks. We are moving to Office 365 and "only those who really need it" (per management) will still have the Access program, and by their definition that means only me. shrug.gif

When those staff open a linked spreadsheet or mail merge document, which is pulling data from the BE via the network FE, will they see the data or some kind of "data unavailable" message? Are there any other problems I can expect when this happens? (I already know my pivot tables are going away cryhard.gif )
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 5 2019, 11:31 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Just a guess, but if the Word document is linked to an Access database, and it's not available, then I would expect the merge to fail. If it's possible to link the Word document directly to Excel, then you might consider doing that. Is there any reason why you're using Access for the mail merge if the data is coming from Excel anyway?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

redpenner
post Jul 5 2019, 12:02 PM
Post#3

The data is in Access, but I had a "Merges" FE with a query linked into an Excel sheet on the network, then the Excel sheet as the source for the Mail Merges.

I had a really good reason for this at the time that I can't really articulate right now, but maybe related to the fact that all staff FE's were originally on the network instead of on staff hard drives (and yes, that turned out really badly). Also I was using the spreadsheet for other things besides the mail merge.

Thanks for the info!

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st September 2019 - 06:15 AM