UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Is A Backup Created After I Open And Close Database?, Access 2016    

compdinosaur
post Dec 18 2018, 09:41 PM
Post#1

I'm trying to get my database functioning on a new computer with Office 365. Just opening and closing the database creates a backup. Why? Is there something wrong? The only change that I think that I made was opening the Trust Center to allow Macros. This is a "small" database that I use for a community directory and related functions. I maintain both the frontend and backend on my personal computer.

I am also having a problem establishing the new correct location path to photos referenced in a photo folder, but will post this separately after figuring out the reason for these backups, which are generated each time I open and close the database.

On my prior computer, my database was with Access 2013.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  AutoSavingFrontEndUponClosingDatabase.pdf ( 54.82K )Number of downloads: 10

--------------------
Barbara
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 18 2018, 10:20 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

I'm not saying this is exactly what is happening with your database but when Access opens a file and detects a serious problem, it will try to recover as best it could. When it does, it first creates a backup copy of the original database file. So, in a way, the answer to your question is "yes," there's probably something wrong with your database file.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 05:57 AM
Post#3

Hello,
I did some further testing. I have no problem with the database on my current/old laptop with Access 2013. I've been working with this database for several years.

Did a compact/repair of the existing front end, made a new copy to a thumb drive, and copied a fresh copy to my new MS Surface Pro 6 with MS Office 365 (Access 2016?)

On my Surface, when I opened and closed the file "normally", a backup copy was generated even before I re-linked my tables.

I found that when I open the database "normally", then Close, a backup copy is created.

When I open the database using the Shift/bypass key, it opens and I can close it and it Does Not create the backup copy.

Do you have any suggestions? Otherwise, I can work with this database, but wish to resolve this before continuing.

Thank you

--------------------
Barbara

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 07:16 AM
Post#4

I just did a different test. I maintain three small unrelated databases for my community, all with separate frontends and backends on my computer. The "Active" ones are all working on computers with Access 2013.

I copied a second "Library" database (front and back end) from my current laptop (Access 2013) to my new Surface (Office 365).

Guess what? There is the same problem. Opening and closing the database in the "normal" fashion generates a backup copy.

I imagine that most folks do not maintain Access databases with front and back ends on individual computers. I do this so that I can vary the backend for testing purposes and to be able to place copies on a shared computer in a common room (no server or network).

Could this be a problem with Office 365?

btw all my computers are running with Win 10.

--------------------
Barbara

BruceM
post Dec 19 2018, 07:27 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

There's nothing at all unusual about having the front end and back end on the same computer. Best practice is to split the database, but the location of the back end should not be relevant to the problem you are having.

What happens if you open the database with Shift bypass, then open the form that would have opened without the Shift bypass? How about if you open other forms?

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 07:36 AM
Post#6

Yet another test...

I created a simple database and have the same issue even without a backend.

--------------------
Barbara

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 07:36 AM
Post#7

Yet another test...

I created a simple database and have the same issue even without a backend.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MyTest.zip ( 16.99K )Number of downloads: 10

--------------------
Barbara

DanielPineault
post Dec 19 2018, 07:54 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Do you have any backup, imaging, cloning software?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 08:02 AM
Post#9

One more test ...

I copied my test database to my desktop computer with Office 365. There is no problem with it there.

Could it be something with my new Surface Pro 6?

The only software other that Office 365 that I am aware of on the Surface is ESET Internet Security.

The computer is brand new and I am just starting to use it.

--------------------
Barbara

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 08:23 AM
Post#10

UA Admin

This sounds like a bug I identified and reported to MS a while back. Let me dig through stuff for a reference. It was a Windows Update that caused the problem.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 08:40 AM
Post#11

My new Surface has Win 10 Home version 1809 installed 12/17/18 (the problem with database)

My desktop has Win 10 Home version 1803 installed 5/21/18 (no problem with database)

Does this help?

--------------------
Barbara

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 08:51 AM
Post#12

UA Admin

Not really, but it does conform to the notion that it was a more recent Windows update. I can't seem to locate the reference, but I do recall that I reported it at the time to the MS Access team. Sorry, I'll keep looking.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 09:24 AM
Post#13

UA Admin

On the computer where this happens, we have Windows 10, build 1809, as well.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 10:19 AM
Post#14

Does that mean that you are confirming the problem?

--------------------
Barbara

DanielPineault
post Dec 19 2018, 10:32 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

So George, do you believe that it is a Windows 10 update (1809) and not an Access update?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 11:30 AM
Post#16

UA Admin

Got a response from MS.

This is a known issue – it requires Office from the Windows Store (not C2R) and RS5 Windows to reproduce. It has to do with how Windows is interpreting the default verb for Access in Windows Store packages. It interpreted it as ‘new’ instead of ‘open’, so when a user double clicks an accdb, the default action is to create a new database rather than open the existing one.

A fix has been released for this issue in 1812, which is currently available to the “Insider” and “Monthly Channel (Targeted)” channels. This version will be available to monthly channel customers sometime early in the new year. Since this does not reproduce with Office click-to-run, another option is to uninstall Office from the Windows Store, and install click-to-run office.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 11:32 AM
Post#17

UA Admin

Yes, I got the answer just now. It's more complicated than I remembered, but essentially interaction between certain Access versions and certain Windows versions....

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 12:45 PM
Post#18

Just to clarify, when I double-click on the database, it opens and I can work with it "normally." However, after closing I "see" the backup-duplicate.

I wish to be able to use my database on this Surface laptop when away from home in January. Is there any doable solution available to me? (I don't understand what was previously stated about uninstalling/re-installing Office.)

In the meantime I've tried to contact Microsoft. After many re-routing phone calls and being shuffled to five different people, I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow morning 6 am PST. I'm not very optimistic regarding their "help."

--------------------
Barbara

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 12:52 PM
Post#19

UA Admin

Yes, that's the result of this bug, I think.

Next time you do this, check the creation and modification dates on the original and duplicate accdbs. I think you'll see the newest one, with the most recent modified date, will be the duplicate. Also, check the folder before you close the accdb again. I think you'll see the duplicate is already there.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

compdinosaur
post Dec 19 2018, 12:55 PM
Post#20

oops! not quite right

I double-click on the database, it looks like it has opened, but has actually opened the copy, I make some changes, close the original database. The changes are in the copy and not the original. Is this what you have documented?

Still a problem.

--------------------
Barbara

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th October 2019 - 08:21 PM