UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updating Front End Application, Access 2010    

SemiAuto40
post Jan 10 2019, 12:18 PM
Post#1

I have read a number of strategies to update an Access front end. Some of them are ready made applications which I don't want to use. What I want to do is to store my back end on an accessible network share, and store a master copy of the front end on the network share for purposes of updating a network users local copy of the front end.

I'm currently stuck on when my front end checks the back end for version and I find out the version is different. Since my front end is already running, I would like to know how to close and rename the out of date front end, and copy the new updated front end from the network share on to the users PC. Finally, ideally the new version would re-launch. Now I am willing to accept a solution where the old front end gets renamed, deleted, and the new front end is copied to the users PC - without auto starting. I could just include in the message to the user that the "version will now shut down and update, please restart the database". By this time the versions would match and the database application would make the version check and proceed to run without the user seeing any messages.

Is there some way to use PowerShell, batch file, or other to do what I am looking to do without using someone else's compiled mini-app?

Thank you for any responses.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jan 10 2019, 12:25 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

The Front End Auto Update Enabling Tool from Bob's website can do what you're asking. It creates a batch file and launches it.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

DanielPineault
post Jan 10 2019, 12:44 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

You may benefit from reviewing http://www.devhut.net/2015/06/30/ms-access...-to-your-users/

Also, I used to check versions, and update as necessary, but changed a few years ago to using a very simple vbscript that I create a shortcut for all my users and which simply copies the master file, no version checking. This ensures the users always have an optimized fresh copy of the db every single time they use the program and it greatly simplifies the entire process for you as a developer.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2018 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

SemiAuto40
post Jan 10 2019, 12:53 PM
Post#4

Would there not some obvious time delay as a ~10mb front end copies each and every time the application gets launched?

theDBguy
post Jan 10 2019, 12:56 PM
Post#5

"obvious?" Probably not. You could try it yourself. Manually drag a ~10mb file from a network share on to your Desktop and see how long it takes.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

DanielPineault
post Jan 10 2019, 12:56 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

10mb is small, and on any decent network that will still be near instantaneous. My databases typically range 5-30MB and I have yet to have a single client complain about launch times in almost 20 years now (I suddenly feel old! dazed.gif ).

To put it into perspective, I've had people approach me with front-end over the 1GB mark, and in such a case I might revisit my strategy, then again, at 1GB there are much more pressing issues to be addressed!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2018 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

SemiAuto40
post Jan 10 2019, 01:43 PM
Post#7

I'm looking at Bob Larson's auto updater code and looking for only the main guts to do the copying/renaming/deleting and restarting so I can include it in my database app. I'm trying to digest it. Part of his batch file
pings 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 2000. Haven't figured out what that is all about yet.

theDBguy
post Jan 10 2019, 01:47 PM
Post#8

It's just his way of making the batch file wait before the next step. Ping is a command to check for a connection and the -w switch tells it to "wait" 2000 milliseconds (2 secs).

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th May 2019 - 07:38 AM