UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Forum Request ".net"    

FrankRuperto
post Nov 10 2019, 05:02 PM
Post#1

Since Access and .NET can talk to each other via COM interoperability, I feel it would be beneficial for UA members to inquire, contribute and reference .NET related topics in its own new forum.

Here's a recent post in General Chat forum about Visual Studio 2019 connecting to x64 ACE Provider:
https://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php...2055358&hl=

AlbertKallal provided a .NET program and valuable advice to solve the OP's problem, and then the topic momentarily detoured into creating a new .NET utility for browsing Access tables.
The detoured topic could use a new forum like the one being propsed and other new topics should follow since several Access apps with .NET integration exist.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.
Go to the top of the page

AlbertKallal
post Nov 10 2019, 11:52 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

There is actually a forum already for vb.net.

this one:
https://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php?showforum=37
It tag line is: Questions and answers about InterDev and Visual Basic 2003 and VB.Net.

So it not only notes vb.net but IntetDev - which is really what most here in regards to .net would want anyway.

The part about visual basic 2003 and later is a wee bit confusing, since 2003 and later was vb.net!

I certainly think the forum name could be just changed to vb.net and InterDev.

There is activity in that form now, but I do think a name change to just vb.net and InterDev, and dropping the Visual basic 2003 would help.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

FrankRuperto
post Nov 11 2019, 09:30 AM
Post#3

Agreed, that forum's title is misleading. Looks like it has not been updated to keep up with the times. I would not limit it to just vb.net, as other programming languages such as c# that can consume COM objects are also supported, so I suggest that forum be renamed to simply .NET or DotNet. InterDev is also misleading, I think "COM interoperability" is a better description.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 11 2019, 10:05 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

jleach
post Nov 11 2019, 10:22 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Administrator

Hi,

There's a few related forums: one for C# and Java, another for VB as Albert pointed out.

I agree that some of the forums could certainly be named better and more organized (e.g., C# and VB.NET should at least be in the same category, etc.)

That said, we're working on some internal things at the moment that will require a re-evaluation/organization of current boards when complete, so rather than do it once now and again a bit later, we'll probably hold off for the time being and do it all in one go.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

FrankRuperto
post Nov 11 2019, 11:00 AM
Post#5

Understood. I have not felt the presence of Gord Hubbell in UA since April 2019. Is he still the UA owner and webmaster?
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 11 2019, 11:03 AM

--------------------

jleach
post Nov 11 2019, 12:23 PM
Post#6

Gord's participation has always been mostly in the background, though of late he has been "veering further toward retirement". January will bring an announcement of relevant news in this area and others (positive news: a move toward more modern software, mobile app, re-org of some boards as touched on earlier in this thread, cleanup of outdated content, etc.). There are a number of things in the works, but roadmaps need to solidify a bit more prior to full public announcement. In any case, 2020 will bring a host of changes, all of which we think will be for the better of UA and many of which have been member requests for a long time but difficult with the current software.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

DanielPineault
post Nov 11 2019, 01:15 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Jack, me thinks you just made the/an announcement! big_grin.gif

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

jleach
post Nov 11 2019, 01:19 PM
Post#8

Jeez, how many people are watching this thread?!? I've had a number of PMs on it already also pullhair.gif

Anyway, in January we will have details on various things that are happening. It's a short 8 weeks or so away, but no more than this until then.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

tina t
post Nov 11 2019, 01:26 PM
Post#9

okay, Jack, we'll be patient and wait eagerly for our "late Christmas present". it's nice to have something to look forward to in January besides bills! ;) tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

FrankRuperto
post Nov 11 2019, 01:56 PM
Post#10

That's good news, but in the meantime, is UA currently under new ownership, or will be?

--------------------

jleach
post Nov 11 2019, 02:21 PM
Post#11

Frank - Gord often goes a number of months without being "seen" in the public side of UA (as do a few others that most non-admins wouldn't know are instrumental to UA's existence). That's been his method of operation for many years, and I don't see why this perceived inactivity would suggest a change in ownership.

UA's key administration team remains unchanged from what it has been for a long time and therefore questions of ownership should be irrelevant (and are probably inappropriate as well).

Thanks,

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2019 - 03:31 AM