UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Is The Meaning Of This Dialogue Box?, SQL Server 2000    

blu
post Oct 2 2019, 08:59 PM
Post#1

]Hi,
I found a copy of MS Office 2000. Since I know nothing at all about Access I thought I would load it and learn about it.
All seemed to be going well until I tried to use the wizard.A dialogue box appears asking what SQL server you would like to use for this database and wanting me to specify the username and password for it.I dont run a business and I'm not IT related, all I wanted to do was play with a database on my computer. What am I missing here? OS is Windows 10.

Thank you!!

Attached File  Box.jpg ( 129.88K )Number of downloads: 1
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Oct 2 2019, 09:11 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

welcome2UA.gif
Which wizard did you try to use? I don't have Access 2000 installed, but it looks as though you started a wizard to export your data to SQL Server, which doesn't sound as though it's something you want to do.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 2 2019, 09:11 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

That's pretty interesting. It looks like you tried to create an ADP, which is an acronym for, IIRC, Access Data Project. ADPs were a way to set an Access front end linked to a SQL Server database. Some people really liked that approach, but it was fraught with difficulties and eventually deprecated in later versions of Access. Definitely not a good starting point for anyone interested in learning about Access Relational Databases.

Frankly, Access 2000 is probably not a good starting point to learn Access if you plan to do anything with Access long-term, anyway. It's okay for a sort of look-see trial, though.

Start with the basics. Learn more about building properly normalized relational tables FIRST. It's hard to do anything worthwhile with any Relational Database tool, including Access, until you understand how to set up the tables. It's like building a new house. You have to have a solid foundation on which to erect the walls. Tables are the foundation, and properly designed tables are the right foundation. Get that down and you'll have a good experience.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 2 2019, 09:13 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

Doug, it looks like there is a proposed name in that dialog that says "ADP1SQL", which I take to mean it's supposed to be an ADP. Does that seem logical to you or am I reading too much into it?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

Doug Steele
post Oct 2 2019, 09:19 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

You're probably right, George. I didn't use Access 2000 very much, and never used ADPs at all.

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

blu
post Oct 3 2019, 06:56 AM
Post#6

George/Doug

Thanks for your response and the links, both are much appreciated.However this may lead to hundreds of more questions. LOL

Thanks again,,

Doug Steele
post Oct 3 2019, 07:47 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

That's what we're here for!

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile

jleach
post Oct 3 2019, 08:32 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess Administrator

>> this may lead to hundreds of more questions <<

Don't they all! smile.gif

welcome2UA.gif

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 3 2019, 09:44 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

You got questions. We got answers. Sometimes they intersect appropriately, sometimes not. cheers.gif

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2019 - 04:43 PM