UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unc Vs. Mapped Drive, Access 2016    

ngins
post Jul 11 2019, 08:58 PM
Post#1

I've read in several places where people recommend using UNC paths instead of mapped drives when linking Access tables. Apart from logistical issues (some users might have drives mapped differently), are there any PERFORMANCE issues related using mapped drives vs. UNC paths?

With a certain database, there is a small group of users, and all have the same mapped drives, and no one will change anything. So there are no logistical issues to be concerned with.

Would there be any performance or resource usage gain by switching to UNC links instead of mapped drive links?

Thanks!

--------------------
Neil
Accessing since '96
Go to the top of the page

WildBird
post Jul 11 2019, 09:04 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I think any performance gains would be minimal, but the added ease of deployment using UNC means I never use anything but UNC. I have a function that relinks all tables on opening, and a splash screen that shows what table is being relinked. I find people have no issue with this as it shows them something when it is opening. If you want code, let me know.

Cheers

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

ngins
post Jul 11 2019, 09:35 PM
Post#3

Thanks, Bill. No, I have code that automatically relinks tables. It's just that we've been getting a lot of System Resource Exceeded errors since moving to A16/Win10, and I was looking for ways to conserve resources, is all.

--------------------
Neil
Accessing since '96

jleach
post Jul 12 2019, 09:03 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

I agree that it shouldn't make much difference in performance. Reference to a mapped drive needs to be resolved to the UNC path by the system anyway, so if anything the mapped drive would be maybe just a tad slower, but we're talking milliseconds (or fractions of them), the this information is stored by the system already anyway so it's no extra resources being used.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 12 2019, 09:52 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

I'm a bit of a contrarian, perhaps. I do not use mapped drives for networked backends unless it's required by some network rule, or I have a network admin who guarantees everyone maps to the same network share using the same drive.

Why? Because, although it's likely that all users will have the same mappings for network shares, it's not guaranteed. You're counting on an enforcement regime to ensure compliance. If your organization has that kind of control, it's good. In some smaller environments, there's no one looking over users' shoulders to ensure they do "the right thing" all the time.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

ngins
post Jul 12 2019, 12:26 PM
Post#6

Thanks, Jack, for the reply and confirmation.

And thanks, George, for the input. I agree in general. In this case, the company has about 10 users, and the only one who configures the machines is an IT guy the company has who comes in once a week. So I think in this case it's pretty safe, though I agree with you in general about the pitfalls of using mapped drives.

--------------------
Neil
Accessing since '96

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th July 2019 - 12:40 AM