UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding A Reference Using A Mapped Drive Rather Than Unc Path, Access 2016    

chilladsi
post May 13 2019, 09:49 AM
Post#1

I know but...

I want to reference one Access db from another - I need each user to have their own unique version of the referenced db as there are some local temp tables in it, and so I need to drop it into a mapped drive / folder that is common to all users.

When I add the reference manually it converts the mapped drive to a UNC path which then pinpoints it to my own version of that mapped drive / folder.

How can I make it less specific and reference a location which will represent the individual copies? A lot of the users don't have their own local C: drive as they are on Citrix so can't resort to local storage unfortunately.

I essentially need to reference to be X:\ReferencedDB.accde instead of \\SERVER\folder\ReferencedDB.accde

Thanks
This post has been edited by chilladsi: May 13 2019, 10:42 AM
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 13 2019, 10:45 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Are you doing this using code? If not, perhaps you'll could try.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

chilladsi
post May 13 2019, 10:58 AM
Post#3

I'm not but happy to is it's possible - we deploy ACCDE - can we still update the references programatically?

theDBguy
post May 13 2019, 11:00 AM
Post#4

Yes, I think modifying references through code is still possible with ACCDEs. Anyway, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

chilladsi
post May 14 2019, 05:56 AM
Post#5

I can't seem to get it working when running under an ACCDE - working fine when in ACCDB...

Minty
post May 14 2019, 06:10 AM
Post#6

How are you trying to do this ?

I'm not sure I understand the problem with the UNC path either?
We have quite a lot of RDP users and once they are logged in the URL path works fine for them, so why doesn't yours?

You can always copy the reference file to a relative local path, something like;

CODE
MyLocalPath = CurrentProject.Path & "\LocalSubFolder"

BruceM
post May 14 2019, 06:59 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

A mapped drive and a UNC path are the same location, but relative references (rather than absolute references) can cause undesired results.
I need each user to have their own unique version of the referenced db as there are some local temp tables in it, and so I need to drop it into a mapped drive / folder that is common to all users.

Can you explain this in a little more detail? For one thing, does "referenced db" refer to the front end? Using Citrix does not (AFAIK) preclude placing the front end in a local folder.

It would help to see the code you are using.

theDBguy
post May 14 2019, 11:37 AM
Post#8

I can't seem to get it working when running under an ACCDE - working fine when in ACCDB...
Sorry to hear that, but at least you were able to confirm it. Good luck!

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd May 2019 - 01:46 PM