UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Migrate Ms Access To Another Software Tool, Access 2013    

amaklop
post Jun 16 2019, 10:08 AM
Post#1

My husband owns a one-man company. I am a Software developer and I wrote a MS Access Database for his company that handles Customers, Invoicing, Delivery Notes, Quotes, Purhase Orders, Inventory, Customer Statements, Stock counts, etc. We are looking at switching over to Mac from Windows and I can't find a clean alternative to MS Access for a Mac. I have been wanting to try "migrate" our database to another tool. Even tried to rewrite it using Python and Django but had to stop as we have two pre-schoolers and I don't have much time. Can anyone give me advice on an Alternative to MS Access (back-end DB as well as Front-end forms). Preferably one that will work on a Mac Book or on the cloud that I can access from a Mac Book. Bonus will be if it is relatively easy or inexpensive to migrate.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 16 2019, 10:26 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Have you looked at either Zoho or Caspio? Just a thought...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 16 2019, 10:46 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

You can obtain a Windows emulator for your Mac, like Parallels, which will allow you to continue running the MS Access solution in that environment and avoid the entire cost and hassles of recreating it.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Jun 16 2019, 11:22 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Jun 16 2019, 11:34 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I've never used a Mac myself but I found this. Could be dated.

I thought there was a version of Office for Mac.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 16 2019, 01:52 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

There is Office for the Mac, but it doesn’t include Access unfortuanately.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Jun 16 2019, 02:20 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

So I'm not crazy, at least.

Considering how many Mac's there are, it seems curious to me. Buy I'm no expert on Mac utilization by the public.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

gemmathehusky
post Jun 16 2019, 03:36 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

I would be inclined to keep a PC to use for your accounts only.

The cost of building something else would be prohibitive, I expect.

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 16 2019, 06:14 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

Prohibitive as well as unnecessary. Most of the Windows emulation software packages, like Parallels, are under $100.00 and some are freeware, although probably not as robust. I have no idea what a license for something like FileMaker for the Mac would be, but it's not likely to be much less than that. Plus the time to recreate the entire database application AND get used to working in a different way.

It hardly seems to make sense to reinvent the wheel.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Jun 16 2019, 06:18 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

You can still use Access on a MAC if you truly want to, see: http://www.devhut.net/2016/09/06/run-ms-of...ccess-on-a-mac/

There are also services such as http://accesshosting.com/ that can allow you to continue to use your Access db, as is, and you simply remotely connect to it. They host it for you.

Sadly, if you truly want to migrate there are no magic solutions! The best you can expect is to migrate the tables/data, beyond that it will be a re-write. In that case, I would advise against anything that ties you to an OS, Application and go to something you can run on anything. MySQL/PHP (using a good framework) has become my weapon of choice as of late (just finished a major Access conversion and my client couldn't be happier!). You can host it yourself locally with relative ease and keep it within the walls of your business, or on a web server and access the info from anywhere in the world on any device.

Regardless of the technology you choose, you are looking at a fair amount of work ahead of you. If you don't have the time, then seriously consider one of the options presented in the link provider above.

Best of luck to you!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

nvogel
post Jun 16 2019, 11:43 PM
Post#10

There are hundreds of off-the-shelf business solutions available for handling accounting, customer-relationship management and stock control. That kind of software covers a wide range of different needs and some of the deals available are extremely cheap. I suggest you use one of those standard solutions, either install yourself or hosted in the cloud. Your software development skills could then be used to do other more valuable things.

amaklop
post Jun 17 2019, 10:56 PM
Post#11

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I did have a quick look at Zoho and shelved the idea for a while because it would take some time to re-write. Haven't looked at Caspio yet. I did have a look at Parallels as well but if I can remember the cost was a bit high for us so we shelved that idea as well.

I'm not familiar with FileMaker at all ... will have a look at what it is.

I will definately have a look at both Crossover and the access hosting (Sounds like a very attractive solution plus the benefit of access to the database when not in the office.). Thank you DanielPineault.

We have looked at a number of the off-the-shelf solutions but we have a small engineering firm and we wanted to customise the invoices and add some modules & Reports that we couldn't find in any of the products we looked at.

For the time being I have created a VM on the Mac and installed Windows. Busy installing Office and will try that for now. Not quite what I wanted but will have to do until we have a better solution.

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 01:57 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

That is often the issue with many of these off-the-shelf solutions, they are great if you work exactly the way their authors intented. Otherwise you get into expensive consultant fees to mod/develop/message them into what you actually need. I don't think I have ever seen a single implementation of off-the-shelf software stay on track with regard to timeline or cost! Often better to create your own rather than trying to get them to work your way. Yes, you end up paying (time is money), but you end up with a tool that properly fits your business. The other advantage is also not being data-bound to a specific company. A lot of these softwares take your data hostage. Once it is in, it is hard, or in some cases impossible, to extract your data should you ever wish to migrate it down the road. If ever you do look at any premade solutions, be sure that you can get you data back and in a format that can be easily used. Backups are also a very important required feature, be sure you can generate backup.

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 18 2019, 08:27 AM
Post#13

UA Admin

"For the time being I have created a VM on the Mac and installed Windows. "

That's a viable option to a full migration. Of course, it does limit you to that one workstation, but I was under the impression you were already limited to the one anyway.

I run three or four VMs with various versions of Windows/Office and find it's a smooth process under Windows 10. If the Mac VM works as well, it's a good option, IMO.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

bouncee
post Jun 18 2019, 08:38 AM
Post#14

Surely Access isn't the only software you use on the PC(s), you must have other software that you would need to find an alternative for if migrating to Mac.

Best, therefore, to keep the PC(s) or use emulation software.

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 09:30 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

But Access is one of the tougher one to switch out. There are tons of alternative that can work with Word docs, Excel workbooks, e-mail clients, but Access is quite unique and can just be transfer in the same manner. This is one of the rare sticking points in switching away from PCs. Most other softwares offer MAC versions, or alternative exist that are comptible, not Access sadly.

--------------------

amaklop
post Jun 18 2019, 11:31 PM
Post#16

Yes ... as Daniel mentioned. The other software is relatively easy to find a Mac alternative but not MS Access.

GroverParkGeorge ... You've made me think about something. Maybe rather keep the PC and put a MAC VM on the PC instead of trying the other way round. Then I should have the best of both worlds.

My husband is an Apple believer. "They just work" he says. We've had one too many Windows issues lately so we were going to try the Mac route. We were given a MacBook so I was hoping this would "change our world".

I'm new to the concept of having a VM on a computer with a different OS. If we do go this route we'll probably have to invest in a higher spec PC. That's where this started. Both our desktop and laptop are busy giving issues which is very frustrating when trying to run a business so we need to choose something new. The macbooks were too expensive but a decent spec PC could also be. We just need to make a decision I guess ....

Mmmm ... but I already have a Windows VM on the Mac you might say ... I'm battling frown.gif
My VM screen resolution is not the full screen (I can't get the settings right, hoping connecting to a larger monitor will fix the problem, getting a VGA adapter today).
I have 8 GB of RAM on the MAC. Not sure how much to give the VM so that we get optimal performance.
In my Access application I integrate with Microsoft Outlook (we email the invoice from MS Access to the client) and we can open the pdf to view... this isn't working on the VM yet ....
When I try to write the invoice to the C:\Temp folder as a PDF, it's deleting the "dummy" Invoice.pdf file that I created and not creating the new pdf Doc frown.gif This works perfectly on our existing DB.

I'll focus more on getting these issues sorted before going further.
This post has been edited by amaklop: Jun 18 2019, 11:53 PM

cheekybuddha
post Jun 19 2019, 02:33 AM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

Have you researched running MacOS as a virtual machine on non Mac hardware? It is less straightforward than running Windows or Linux on a Mac or PC. Apple technically don't allow you to run MacOS on anything other than Apple hardware and so you will need to find a hacked copy of the is installer (not difficult!)

Much better to get a new Mac and run a virtual Windows on the new shiny shiny hardware.

>> My VM screen resolution is not the full screen <<
Are you using Virtualbox? If so, then make sure you also install the Guest Extensions to fix screen rescaling, mouse handling etc

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

amaklop
post Jun 19 2019, 02:00 PM
Post#18

Thanks Cheekybuddha, I have Guest Extentions and it works like a charm. I'm getting closer to my solution ... like.png

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th July 2019 - 01:03 AM