UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Form Combobox Auto-inherits Rowsource From Table Combobox?, Access 2016    

jsurpless
post Nov 20 2019, 01:43 PM
Post#1

I have a combobox configured in a table and then a form which has a control whose recordsource is that field.

I noticed that the Form Combobox seems to automatically pull its RowSource (configured as ValueList) from the table's configuration, as opposed to how I have the form configured (either in the form or via VBA).

I noticed that if I removed the ComboBox from table field, I am able to configure the Form ComboBox in the form or via VBA

Is that how it's supposed to work?

thanks!
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 20 2019, 01:46 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Yes, sort of. However, it's not recommended to have a Combobox in a table anyway. Are you able to just remove it from the table? Will that help?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 21 2019, 10:35 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Lookup fields in TABLES, or 'ComboBoxes" are generally considered "a less than optimal design choice", so my recommendation would be to forget you ever saw or heard of such a thing.

Seriously, the small annoyances and serious problems caused by Lookup fields in tables far outweigh their usefulness. They're intended primarily for situations where the simplest of designs for the simplest of applications are appropriate. But as a general rule, avoiding them is the smart choice.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

jsurpless
post Nov 21 2019, 10:37 AM
Post#4

Yes, sort of. However, it's not recommended to have a Combobox in a table anyway. Are you able to just remove it from the table? Will that help?

I can remove it from the table, thanks
Lookup fields in TABLES, or 'ComboBoxes" are generally considered "a less than optimal design choice", so my recommendation would be to forget you ever saw or heard of such a thing.

Seriously, the small annoyances and serious problems caused by Lookup fields in tables far outweigh their usefulness. They're intended primarily for situations where the simplest of designs for the simplest of applications are appropriate. But as a general rule, avoiding them is the smart choice.

Thanks for the input

theDBguy
post Nov 21 2019, 10:45 AM
Post#5

UA Moderator

Okay, I hope that solved your problem. If not, please let us know. Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2019 - 10:16 AM