UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Passing The Password..., Access 2016    

stephenAA5
post Jun 16 2018, 01:06 AM
Post#1

Hi, all. I have a database with many, many DSN tables. I'm looking to make that DSN-less, but that may be a task for another day. For right now, I need to figure out how to pass the password when the user goes through my login screen. I went to the ODBC connection and stopped the "remember password" and now just get ODBC failure. How can I pass that data to the driver when the user logs on?

Thank you!

SC
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Jun 16 2018, 04:35 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

More easily done DSN-less.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 16 2018, 06:29 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Check out this article. It may provide some insight on how to address the requirement.

stephenAA5
post Jun 16 2018, 01:33 PM
Post#4

Yes, thank you. I've been able to get the DSN-less conversion ALMOST worked out, right now it runs, but doesn't save the info. I'm working on that now.

At the same time, I'm trying to figure out how to use the connection string in the pass through queries for mySQL.

One foot in font of the other...

Thank you,

Stephen.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 16 2018, 02:25 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

"...but doesn't save the info."

Isn't the objective NOT to save it?

"How can I pass that data to the driver when the user logs on?"

stephenAA5
post Jun 16 2018, 04:49 PM
Post#6

Well, yes. From user to user, or from opening of the database to the next. But I guess I misunderstand the caching, or am doing something wrong. I expected it to work from one table to the next once the first one worked.

Working through it (with your help) on another thread. They've sort of melded at this point.

Thanks.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 17 2018, 07:06 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

What did you glean from the article to which I linked? Doesn't it address the questions you raise?

stephenAA5
post Jun 17 2018, 11:40 PM
Post#8

There is not so much a thing to glean there, as just a lot of understanding. One thing that didn't seem to work as I expected was the caching, though. I expected that once one of the tables got linked, the others would "fall in line." That didn't happen. So I've just put this whole code process as part of the startup routine. It just runs through and rebuilds all 90 odd connections. It doesn't feel that bad, actually.

As someone very new to this, and *self* taught at all of it, there is a lot of interesting reading.

Thank you for providing some of it (and some of the teaching, too!)

Stephen

-----------------
I hate that phrase "self taught" because it technically applies to so few things. Maybe I'll start advocating for "informally educated..."

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2019 - 10:18 AM