UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Corrupted Mdw File!, Access 2010    

Registan
post Oct 24 2018, 05:27 AM
Post#1

Hello friends,

I have User Level Security access database. Today, when I tried to open it first it said that "database corrupted and MS Access will try to recover", I pressed OK, it recovered and opened the database, but wtihout tables and queries. Only Forms and Reports, and I can't even open it. I think mdw file corrupted. I'm attaching the screenshot, please helppppp!!!!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  New_Picture.png ( 61.03K )Number of downloads: 8

Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Oct 24 2018, 05:58 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Do you have a backup copy?

Did you check the permission on that object?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

isladogs
post Oct 24 2018, 06:21 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Ultimately a backup copy is your best answer but have you tried
1. Opening with the shift key held down to bypass the startup code/form?
2. Decompiling the main database and the MDW file (use a backup copy of each)
3. Linking to the database from another database to determine if the tables do still exist
This post has been edited by isladogs: Oct 24 2018, 06:40 AM

--------------------

JonSmith
post Oct 24 2018, 06:39 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Also, if you fix it. Remove ULS. Its not supported anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

Registan
post Oct 24 2018, 09:12 PM
Post#5

Thank you all for the answer. I fixed it with the backup copy of the database. Changes that're done after backup will be lost ((
Why remove ULS? I need it very much. I keep mdb file only for ULS.

JonSmith
post Oct 25 2018, 03:01 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Because its been deprecated for a long time, over 10 years I think.
At some point Microsoft will totally remove it and then you won't be able to get into your database at all.
Its already super hard for alot of people to try and manage ULS let alone operate it.

Its obviously your risk to take but I wouldn't wait for MS to pull the rug out from under me when they told me 10 years ago that the rug was going.

You should know ULS was removed because its really not secure. If you need it very much its probably not doing the job you think it is and is giving you false security.

DanielPineault
post Oct 25 2018, 06:03 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

ULS was a very useful tool, sadly, most people found it to be very complex to setup/manage and even worse was the fact that in a lot of cases people didn't set it up properly so it could easily be bypassed. For these reasons, and others I'm sure MS decided to do away with the feature. Why they didn't simply fix it and bring it into the 21st century I have no clue. But I do agree MS has left their users hanging once again. It also goes to further enforcing the idea that Access isn't secure.

You truly should be thinking about upgrading your file format to accdb and eliminating the ULS. Then you can create your own ULS. It simple, just control login, or complex, control access to controls. I believe Scott Gem has a post on this on his site. You can also purchase replacements if you don't have the time to create your own version of ULS.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th October 2019 - 05:34 AM