UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Len() Function Returns No Value, Access 2016    

dg_moore
post Jul 11 2019, 01:52 PM
Post#1

Point of curiosity: I have a text field in a table used to store email addresses. A Len() function on that field returns 3 kinds of values: an integer value for a valid email address, 0 for a null field or empty string, and no value at all (returns nothing) for some other blank fields. What does the latter mean? Seems to me that a field is either empty or not, but Len() returns nothing at all for some apparently empty fields. Does anybody know what this is about?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 11 2019, 01:57 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. I just did a quick test. If I do the following: Len(Null), the result is Null. So, if your field is blank (Null), then the Len() function returns null or nothing.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

dg_moore
post Jul 11 2019, 02:43 PM
Post#3

Ok - so if the field is null, Len( ) returns null. So what does it mean when Len() returns 0? A zero-length string? But the default field value is null, so where would a zero- length string come from in a new record? It's still a little puzzling, but not crucial in the large scheme of things.

theDBguy
post Jul 11 2019, 02:47 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Yes, a result of zero (0) comes from a zero-length string. If you look at the properties of the field in the table's design view, does it allow zero-length strings? You can create a simple query like this to check your results:
CODE
SELECT IsNull(FieldName) As FieldIsNull, ""=FieldName As FieldIsZLS, Len(FieldName) As ResultOfLen FROM TableName

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

WildBird
post Jul 11 2019, 06:57 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I often use a empty string ("") with formulas to account for possible NULLS e.g. len("" & [FieldName]). Gives more consistent results.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

gemmathehusky
post Jul 15 2019, 06:45 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

in some cases, there is no variable to work on.
It's not even null

Try a form based on a query returning no records, and with allow additions set to false.

I am not sure what the definition of controls on such a form would be, but I tend to refer to them as "undefined".

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th July 2019 - 09:37 PM