UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autonumber Problem When Localising Tables, Any Versions    

johnpdmccall
post Jun 30 2020, 05:34 AM
Post#1

Hi Folks

I have a FE accdb connected to tables on SQL Azure.

I have localised the table (about 100 tables).

My problem is field type the fldID (Primary key on some tables) on every table is now a Number. Originally it was Autonumber until migrated to SQL Azure.
Now I need it to be an autonumber again but Access won't allow it. So far the only ways I found to fix it are:

1. Go to design view of every table and create a new fldID. Fine for tables where the fldID isn't related to any other tables
2. Create a new blank table with the structure and design I need and append the data from the original. As long as the table is structure only and has no data the fldID appends with the correct number

Is there a way of doing something like this quickly? Have I missed something in the SSMA migration process or in the localisation process?

Thanks for any help

--------------------
Cheers,
John
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Jun 30 2020, 08:53 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

You should be able to rename the existing tables, create new tables with the correct names (and autoincrement fields), then insert the data from the old tables into the new ones.

You need to turn off the autoincrement feature while inserting values in the field:

CODE
Set IDENTITY_INSERT <NameOfTable> ON

Don't forget to turn it off when you're finished!

CODE
Set IDENTITY_INSERT <NameOfTable> OFF

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

johnpdmccall
post Jun 30 2020, 01:21 PM
Post#3

Hi Doug,

Thanks, yes I've got a function that cleans the table names (might have been you who pointed me in that direction before)

I've created some append queries to append to new tables that have had no data entered before and that seems to work ok. So that would all have to be done by hand.

Is there any example of code (SQL?) I would need to use that would look at each old table in turn, select all fields and enter the data into the same fields in the new tables?
Something that would insert all from TableData1 into all in TableData
The old table names are suffixed with a "1" if that makes sense.

--------------------
Cheers,
John

June7
post Jun 30 2020, 02:00 PM
Post#4

Perhaps you want INSERT SELECT statement.

And yes, code could loop through TableDefs collection and get table names.

Be aware, an INSERT action can populate autonumber field.

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

johnpdmccall
post Jun 30 2020, 02:06 PM
Post#5

Thanks June7

Have you got an example of an INSERT SELECT statement that loops through the table defs can adapt please?

My coding skills are very basic

Thanks for any help you can offer

--------------------
Cheers,
John

theDBguy
post Jun 30 2020, 02:12 PM
Post#6

UA Moderator

Hi John,

QUOTE (johnpdmccall)
Is there any example of code (SQL?) I would need to use that would look at each old table in turn, select all fields and enter the data into the same fields in the new tables?

If we're talking about tables with the same structure, what happens if you simply do something like this?
CODE
INSERT INTO NewTable SELECT * FROM OldTable

Just curious...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

johnpdmccall
post Jun 30 2020, 02:25 PM
Post#7

Ah! Yes - I just found the same thing on docs.microfot.com and it says just what you've saidso I'll give that a try as it will be quicker than building queries in design view for all the tables. I can pop the table names in.

If there was something that would loop through table defs and do that it would be much more fun thanks.gif

--------------------
Cheers,
John

theDBguy
post Jun 30 2020, 02:27 PM
Post#8

UA Moderator

QUOTE (johnpdmccall)
If there was something that would loop through table defs and do that it would be much more fun thanks.gif

I'm afraid you'll have to create that one yourself, because how could Access know which is the old table and which one is the new one?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

June7
post Jun 30 2020, 02:38 PM
Post#9

Review https://www.devhut.net/2010/06/10/ms-access...-in-a-database/

You could change If Then

If td.Name Like "*Old" Then

Or whatever you used to identify old tables when you named them.

Within loop, execute action query. Something like

Set db = CurrentDb
For each td ...
If ...
db.Execute "INSERT INTO [ & Left(td.Name, Len(td.Name)-3) & "] SELECT * FROM [" & td.Name & "]"

This post has been edited by June7: Jun 30 2020, 02:47 PM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

johnpdmccall
post Jun 30 2020, 02:40 PM
Post#10

Of course
how could Access know which is the old table and which one is the new one?

It would probably take me longer to try to work that one out than just to write the previous stuff for each table.
laugh.gif

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Cheers,
John

theDBguy
post Jun 30 2020, 02:46 PM
Post#11

UA Moderator

Not necessarily... All you need to create is a mapping table, so Access can tell which one is the old and which one is the new table.

--------------------

June7
post Jun 30 2020, 03:29 PM
Post#12

John,
Did you see post 9?

This post has been edited by June7: Jun 30 2020, 03:30 PM

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th July 2020 - 02:09 AM