UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
 
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Record Locking Error 3188, Access 2013    
 
   
B99
post Jul 22 2020, 09:38 AM
Post#1



Posts: 84
Joined: 15-April 20



Hi All,
I have a new problem that has me stumped. During some testing today I ran into error 3188 ("Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine") while editing a record. This is in a local test instance and I am the only one in it. The issue seems to be related to one text field on a form. I can edit other fields on the form for the same record without any problem. But as soon as I make a change in that one text field, I get the error. If I move to another record, I can make changes in the text field (and other fields) without any problems.

I have tried closing and reopening the form, closing and reopening the application, doing a "compact and repair" and the error persists. While the record is open in the form, if I open the BE and look at the table, the contents of the offending field are "#Error". Closing the form and then looking at the BE again shows the correct value. I can edit the field in the BE table (when the form is not on the same record) without problems, but as soon as I try to edit again in the FE, I get the error - even after closing the BE.

I've never gotten this before and I have seen conflicting advice saying to try different record locking settings or leave them alone. After Googling for an hour, I'm more confused than when I started and my inclination is to leave the default settings alone.

My primary concern is making sure this doesn't happen for end users when the application is deployed but I have no idea what is causing it or how to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Go to the top of the page
 
theDBguy
post Jul 22 2020, 10:09 AM
Post#2


UA Moderator
Posts: 78,601
Joined: 19-June 07
From: SunnySandyEggo


Was there any code behind that one Textbox?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email
Go to the top of the page
 
B99
post Jul 22 2020, 10:28 AM
Post#3



Posts: 84
Joined: 15-April 20



Hi theDBguy,

No, nothing behind the text box. However, I think I found the cause, but still not sure what's going on. If I create a new record with the same text, I get the same error so I thought maybe it was something in the text. But the text is simple - numbers, letters, apostrophes, quotation marks and asterisks - all of which exist in other records without issue.

Then I thought it might be the length of the text. The table column is a long text field that can contain several paragraphs of text. This particular test had 457 words according to MS Word (not sure how to tell how many characters). I started stripping it down, copying and pasting a little at a time until I hit the error. I hit it around 280 words.

It doesn't seem to matter what the exact text is that pushes it over the limit, but there's apparently a limit in there somewhere that is causing the error. I can save the record once with the text that pushes it over the limit but when I try to go back and edit the text (such as delete a period) and then save the record, then the error is raised.

Any thoughts on what to look for?
Go to the top of the page
 
B99
post Jul 22 2020, 11:12 AM
Post#4



Posts: 84
Joined: 15-April 20



A little more info, but even more confused. I found the exact character count in Word: the text that failed had 2,074 characters (including spaces, line breaks, etc.). I wasn't sure exactly what the threshold was so I created a new record by repeating "1234567890" without spaces or line breaks/CR. I got the error at 2,039 characters.

I was pasting about 10 characters at a time when the error triggered and I wanted to narrow it down further so I added a new record with 2000 characters and started adding one by one. I never got the error. Then I started pasting 10, then 20, then 50 at a time, and then copying all of the text and pasting. I'm up to 10,574 characters on that particular record and still have not hit the error. I can copy and paste the 10k characters into a new record and do not get the error.

Then I moved to some of the previous error records, which were all consistent in preventing me from editing the text field. I tested 4 of them (I'm up to 13 records in this test) and now the errors are gone except one record - the one with 2,039 characters. Even the original record is now allowing me to edit and save. I still have no idea what caused the problem or what released the locks on some of the records but not all.
Go to the top of the page
 
B99
post Jul 22 2020, 11:58 AM
Post#5



Posts: 84
Joined: 15-April 20



Now the error has gone away for all records. I got the error on one of the test records and stepped away for a bit, leaving the form open on the error record. When I came back, I was able to edit and save it. I added a new record with the original text and had no problems. Then I went back through all 13 other records in the test and was able to edit and save every one.

I have no idea what happened and hopefully it's a one-off anomaly but it still makes me nervous that it could be something a user encounters and I have very little to go on.
Go to the top of the page
 
theDBguy
post Jul 22 2020, 12:04 PM
Post#6


UA Moderator
Posts: 78,601
Joined: 19-June 07
From: SunnySandyEggo


Hi. Crossing my fingers....

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email
Go to the top of the page
 


Custom Search


RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    5th August 2020 - 05:46 AM