UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autoselect Date And Time To Nearest Whole Hour On A Form, Access 2016    

FlyinKing
post Jun 21 2019, 12:31 PM
Post#1

I am new to MS Access. I am creating a database for a processing plant. We have furnaces and I want an operator to be able to enter temperature readings from different hearths in the furnace. Data needs to be entered hourly. We have a 24/7 operation. I already have built tables for the furnaces, and have created a form for one of the tables. My table's primary key consists of the date and hour. So every day has 24 records, one for each hour of the day. I currently have a combo box where the operator can choose the day and hour. I would prefer for the time to autoselect. So, say for my 21 June 2019 2PM field, I would be okay if the operator enters the information as early as 1:30PM, or as late as 2:30 PM, but the entries need to be made during that time of the day. This ensures that the Operator does not unintentionally select the wrong time, and also ensures that they do not enter a whole shift of data at one point in time.

Thank you for the help! Again, I am quite new to Access, and am enjoying learning how to build a solid functional database.
This post has been edited by FlyinKing: Jun 21 2019, 12:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 21 2019, 12:34 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

Can you please post your table structure? I am getting a feeling it may not be designed properly. Did you say your table has maybe 24 columns, one for each hour of the day? And, did you say you created a separate table for each furnace?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 21 2019, 12:43 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

We have some excellent materials for newcomers to Access. It covers basic concepts we need to know before we start working on a relational database, such as you build with MS Access.

I think you'll find that theDBGuy's questions go right to the heart of that process, so please do start there.

Ironically, one of the worst databases I was ever called on to "rescue" was built around a similar kind of operation. Four furnaces making art glass. Each furnace had its own set of tables, none of which could be used in conjunction with any others. Reporting was nearly impossible.

Let's avoid that by getting the right foundation under this database from the beginning.

Thanks.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th August 2019 - 11:11 AM