UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> External Links Sometimes Ok....?    

JonSmith
post Jul 30 2018, 02:38 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

So in a recent topic I noticed one of the moderators posted a link to their personal website to download an example file (direct link). Since I had just come from a topic with a new poster who was trying to upload their database via a cloud sharing site and their link being correctly deleted I suddenly noticed the inconsistency.

I jokingly pointed it out but was answered with a response that was mostly an acknowledgement that yeah, thats inconsistent with the rules and they hadn't noticed but the link stays up making the post a violation of the forum guidelines.
Now I don't have a big problem with these links, hopefully these guys won't get their sites hacked and bad stuff placed there, it does however irk me a bit that the rules we said we'd follow only apply to certain people as I think it sets a bad example.

Any chance of a small tweak to the guidelines so it is clear why the external links to sites such as cloud shares are banned but specify that links to sites hosted by trusted members of the site are allowed but can only be posted by the mods? Simple change that would mean the mods aren't violating the rules anymore and its clear and fair to all?

Its a small issue but now I noticed it I'm going to start seeing it everywhere! tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

ghubbell
post Jul 30 2018, 02:04 PM
Post#2

UA Administrator

Hi Jon,
You're absolutely correct: *all* files (should) live here. Period.

Send a note to webmaster@ with any posts you know of that you currently feel violate the rule and I'll take care of it as time permits.

For the future, hit the notify moderator button on the post in question. That goes to all the moderators (whether they're the ones at fault or not), and to all Administrators (ditto).

Thanks Jon,

Gord

JonSmith
post Jul 31 2018, 02:11 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Fair enough Gord, I kinda thought that I had raised it to a mod in a friendly way but since they didn't remove it I figured it just meant there are exceptions to the rules. Your response is clear, those links aren't allowed full stop. I'll report them from now on. Thanks for the response.

isladogs
post Jul 31 2018, 03:19 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

As a point of clarification:
If you take that absolutely literally, it means that the very helpful link to the SQL Server Migration Assistant download in the home page article would contravene the site rules.
Surely that's not the intended outcome here.

ghubbell
post Jul 31 2018, 04:03 AM
Post#5

UA Administrator

Morning.

Links to Microsoft Corp are certainly permitted as we operate with a relatively close association with them and have for years.

Have a re-read of 'The Legal Stuff' in the guidelines: http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

And actually, that pretty much sums up the 'file in question' as well... I did neuter the link on the principle of this discussion (even though it only seemed to be a reference link) however... be reasonable and realistic please. If it could not have been trusted, well, I don't know what in the world could, seriously.

So let's move forward, let's all please use a little common sense and good judgement like professionals best as we can, okay?

Gord

isladogs
post Jul 31 2018, 04:19 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Exactly. That was the point I was making

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd September 2019 - 09:52 PM