UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Renaming Field Names Of An Existing Table, Access 2016    

SemiAuto40
post Feb 25 2020, 02:16 PM
Post#1

I know that I have done this hundreds of times before with a table containing data... but... after inheriting a database I am attempting to rename the field names to sensible names so that I can redesign it. I do my normal process rename the field, save it, compact and repair and when I reopen the data table - POOF! the field name is back to what it was before I changed it. What is up with this!?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 25 2020, 02:17 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

First thought. You're looking at linked tables that physically reside in a different accdb.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

msbad1959
post Feb 25 2020, 02:30 PM
Post#3

Could the database be read only?

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 25 2020, 02:37 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

It could be. What indications do you have that it might be, other than this problem?

I wonder if you saw my suggested possibility. I wonder if you verified whether you are looking at linked tables or local tables.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

SemiAuto40
post Feb 25 2020, 02:44 PM
Post#5

Local table since I sucked it into a new database.

*But I just found out the problem. I was only changing the case of the field names in places. I actually have to do more of a radical name change for it to take.

Thanks for the help uarulez2.gif
This post has been edited by SemiAuto40: Feb 25 2020, 02:51 PM

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 25 2020, 02:50 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

Okay, then. Local tables.

Can you add a new field? Can you create new tables? Can you create and save forms?
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Feb 25 2020, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 25 2020, 03:29 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

Ah, that's a well-known "feature". If I'd realized you were only trying to change case, I might have thought to mention it.

The work - around, as you have found, would be to change the name to something with more or fewer characters, then restore the original name, with the desired case for letters.

I should have noted. The reason this problem exists is that Access is, by default, not case sensitive. Hence, the change from lower case to upper case or vice versa doesn't trigger the flag that it was changed. Access does honor cases, but this little bug (or feature) prevents case corrections without additional "changes" that set the flag a change was made.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Feb 25 2020, 03:38 PM

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    4th April 2020 - 07:48 AM