UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Customer/contacts Db - Basic Question, Access 2016    

chrmaz
post May 23 2019, 02:04 PM
Post#1

Hi,

Am working on a Customer/Contacts database for a house painting company that will also include information on jobs performed for each customer. i posted a while back and had some truly awesome help, but i've run into another snag and am going back to planning.

So, problem #1 is that some customers are individuals that contract with the painting company for a job, and some "customers" are businesses (i.e. bigger companies that are sub-contracting jobs to "my" company). i am thinking it is wisest to have two separate tables (eg tblOrganizations and tblPeople). Although much of the information collected for each would be similar, for example people would have FirstName, LastName, Organization would have contactFirstName, contactLastName, it would seem that each should have it's own table. Reasonable? Or is there maybe a better way? i've seen some Contacts examples that just use a IsHuman checkbox.

#2 is that some individuals have spouses included in the contact information. i figure i can handle this with a tblSecondaryContact linked to the PK in tblPeople. Sound right?

#3 is where i am having the most trouble wrapping my brain around: In the jobs table, how do i create a field that will accept the FK from either the Organizations table or the People table?

Thank you so much for any guidance!
Go to the top of the page

mike60smart
post May 23 2019, 03:32 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

Personally I would just have the 1 table - tblCustomers

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

chrmaz
post May 24 2019, 10:21 AM
Post#3

Mike, thanks for your reply (and all of your work previously!) So, one table to cover all instances of customers. Would you also include in that table the secondary contact, or would you pull that out to be it's own table? i'm not really thinking that there would be more than one secondary contact, but there would be many customers that have NO secondary contact.

Thanks again!

mike60smart
post May 24 2019, 01:09 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

Place the secondary Contacts in their own table

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th June 2019 - 08:57 PM