UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question About Posting Links    

Jaiket
post Apr 11 2019, 06:11 AM
Post#1

Hello,
As I understand, the rules of UA disallow linking to external files or pages dedicated to downloadable files, and discussions of the subject point out that exceptions would nullify the rule.

Would this exception be possible nonetheless: Former members' sites which have disappeared after the member has passed on, but which are still accessible on the Internet Archive.

These 'sites' are truly exceptional in that they have now become static content. I feel strongly that these corpus' are worth preserving.
The ban on outlinked files appears to be a safety issue. For static content, is it not possible to guarantee safety by virus testing any downloadable files?
Maybe the content could be housed within UA somewhere.

I haven't delved deeply, and there might not even be any downloadable files on the Internet Archive.

Take Glenn Lloyd's site http://officetipsandmethods.com/. It is down, but a good deal of knowledge is still available (rather slowly) on the Internet Archive.

Am I allowed to post a link to it, and if so, where is the appropriate place? In my opinion, the ideal place would be on 'Visit my site' on Glenn's profile, but of course I can't do that.

Is anyone aware of a site outside UA belonging to Dennis Kuhn? There may once have been a link to one on his profile.
How about Alan_G - did he have an external site?
This post has been edited by theDBguy: Apr 11 2019, 10:42 AM
Reason for edit: fixed typo on name

--------------------
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 11 2019, 07:15 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

We try to distinguish between what might be called "Site Driving", which is posting links with the sole purpose of driving traffic to a commercial site, and "References", which are sites like Allen Browne's that serve only as a way to provide help and information.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th July 2019 - 04:27 PM