UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharing Database, Access 2016    

SheriDi
post Jan 28 2019, 07:27 PM
Post#1

I have a database that users on this forum so graciously helped me put together. I now want to share it with another user. I have a FE and BE but I am NOT on a server. The other user(s) will simply copy the database to their computer. The other computer does not have Access so I had them download the latest version of runtime, which I know is a scaled down version. My questions are:

1. Do I have to make a compiled version (accde?)

2. Does the runtime version allow the user to access the Linked Table Manager?

Thanks in advance.

I should clarify and say that my database is for golf clubs. I use it on my computer for my club, others will use it on their computer for their clubs so it's not "sharing" in the sense you probably thought. Maybe I should have asked more specifically, what is the best way to give my database to others who do not have Access installed on their computers.

This post has been edited by SheriDi: Jan 28 2019, 08:05 PM
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 28 2019, 08:03 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

1) No, it's not necessary to make the FE into an accde.

2) Yes. If it's properly set up before being deployed to the second computer.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

SheriDi
post Jan 28 2019, 08:07 PM
Post#3

Great, thank you!

RJD
post Jan 28 2019, 08:08 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Sheri:

1. Do I have to make a compiled version (accde?)

I don't think you have to, but since the user cannot really make changes anyway (with runtime) I always distribute an accde. Otherwise, someone else could copy the accdb (someone you did not intend to have it), remove your copyright or ID and use it/distribute it as their own. This happened to me many years ago - and that hard lesson means I always distribute the accde, no matter how much I trust the initial new user.

2. Does the runtime version allow the user to access the Linked Table Manager?

I'm really not sure about that, but I think so (any other information out there, guys?). However, I would not even give that a chance. I always set up a specific folder (on the C:\ drive, or any other local drive letter - I have even used USB drives to set this up) - like C:\MyDB\ (or some unique name) - put FE and BE in it, and instruct the new user to do the same. That way they will not have to mess with Linked Table Manager for your db at all.

Not direct answers to your questions, but just some thoughts ...

HTH
Joe

Ah, I see George answered your questions directly while I was slow-typing away!

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 28 2019, 08:18 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

That does influence my response. I was under the misunderstanding that there are two people working together who need to share it as part of that work.

Distributing to others is a different environment and, yes, I WOULD compile it into an accde in that case.

I also missed that you want to have user changed linked tables with the LTM. Sorry.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

SheriDi
post Jan 28 2019, 08:47 PM
Post#6

Thanks Joe, that does help. I was thinking that it would go into the new users computer under C:\users\Joe......

I had not thought of doing all my work on C:\GolfClub and requiring them to do the same. Duh!!!

Thanks.

RJD
post Jan 28 2019, 09:01 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

You are very welcome, Sheri. Glad that was helpful. George and I are always happy to help.

Regards
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 29 2019, 10:07 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

That's the preferred solution, IMO.

BTW. You might want to create a Ribbon for this tool if you plan to distribute it to third-parties. And on that ribbon you could consider adding the LTM as one of the options.

In fact, the more I think about it, a Ribbon would be pretty important for such a tool.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th September 2019 - 01:57 PM