Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

UtterAccess Forums _ Access Runtime, Packaging & Deployment _ Error Mde Executing

Posted by: ClaudioHenriques Mar 28 2019, 08:29 AM

We have here an application with extension 'MDE' developed in MS Access 97 that the person who developed it and the source mdb are no longer here. When running with the MS Access 2010 runtime (installed on our workstations) it generates a non- Finding a table that will be updated.
In this update this table exists ... Can it be conflict versions 97 x 2010 (runtime) does anyone know anything about it?

thanks

Posted by: theDBguy Mar 28 2019, 09:41 AM

Hi. Don't know anything about it but you might start thinking about recovering your MDB in case the situation gets worse.

Posted by: AlbertKallal Mar 28 2019, 08:58 PM

Hum, I can't remember, but 2010 is quite happy with 2000, 2002, 2003 "mde". And 2007? Well it started the accDE format.

I can't remember, but I don't think the 2010 runtime can consume a access 97 mde. Certainly a 2000 or later, but a97 could be a problem.

Can you find/try the 2007 runtime, or better yet a 2003 runtime?

I never run a97 with 2010 runtime. I certainly see it run 2000 or later but a real access 97 mde I think may be the issue here.

Do you have a older runtime to try? You likely can get the a97 runtime to install, but you have to turn off UAC, and install as a admin.

a97 is now a whopping 22 years old. So that goes back to the time of steam ships, the telegraph, and horse drawn carriages.

The best bet would be using a 2003 runtime, but 2010 I don't think was able to consume a97 formats.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Posted by: isladogs Mar 29 2019, 05:32 AM

Carrying on from Albert's comments....

You can certainly open A97 MDB files in A2010.
However, the file format in early versions of Access changed so much with each update that MDEs were VERY version specific

As a test I created an A97 MDE and tried unsuccessfully to open in in A2010 (full version)
Whether I tried to open it unconverted or convert to a later version, I got the message:

QUOTE
You can't convert or enable an MDE file


I then tried again using A2007, A2003 and finally A2000.
I had expected it to work in A2000 but got exactly the same message EACH time.

Finally I tried a utility that can partly unlock MDE files and allow you to edit the forms & reports.
It has been a lifesaver on a few A2003 files but in this case at first all it did was corrupt the file!
As I kept a backup, I tried again
At the THIRD attempt, it worked and I had a fully functioning ACCDB file
However it was a very simple MDE file and the same process may not work in your case

So I think you have very limited options:
a) pay for a specialist company to reverse engineer the file to MDB then upgrade it to a later version
b) export tables & queries to a new database then rebuild the forms/reports & module code

Posted by: ClaudioHenriques Mar 29 2019, 02:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the attention, I'll think about it