UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Database For Company Procedures (sop) - Any Suggestions?, Access 2010    

chriskey
post May 29 2020, 02:12 PM
Post#1

Hi,

I am currently thinking about creating a database for the company procedures which are basically formatted text (sometimes several pages) with images. Version control is a must to keep track of changes.

Is this something that Access handles well?
If so, should I create tables with formatted text (for example with TinyMCE) or links to word documents?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

tina t
post May 29 2020, 02:29 PM
Post#2

well, i suppose Access could handle it, more or less, but it seems like Word would be a better choice. i've looked a lot of procedural and specifications documents from various companies over the years, as part of my job. many companies document (verb) revisions in the document (noun) itself.

for example, standardized header cites document identifier, current revision, and revision effective date. at the end of the document, a standardized "chart" (usually just labeled columns with each record a row) documents each revision, in order, with each record citing the revision number/letter, a description of the change, who in the company approved the revision, and the date approved.

of course, Access would be a good choice to keep track of documents and their revision dates, and even a revision history (think parent/child tables). an easy way to get basic info about document revisions without having to open each document individually. you could include a link to wherever the master document is stored, for ease of retrieval.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

nvogel
post May 29 2020, 02:35 PM
Post#3

You could use a Wiki or content management system like Sharepoint, Confluence or Wiki.js. Even simpler, you could use a version control system like GitHub. Private GitHub repos are now free to use for as many users as you like.

chriskey
post May 29 2020, 02:48 PM
Post#4

Thanks tina and nvogel,

tina, we are writting the procedures in word for the moment, but I was looking for a way to centralise the information, and make it more easy to search for content and do a follow-up on changes.

nvogel, I will look into these other options

tina t
post May 29 2020, 04:06 PM
Post#5

tina, we are writting the procedures in word for the moment, but I was looking for a way to centralise the information, and make it more easy to search for content and do a follow-up on changes.

well, again, you could log docs in Access. just keeping in mind that the more detail you include in the log, the more "double work" it is, along with the possibility of the log getting out of date vs the documents themselves. i definitely would not generate the documents from Access tables, nor would i store the documents in an Access table. i'm not saying it couldn't be done at all, but Access is not a word processing program; reports with a lot of text never look that good. and storing files in a table bloats a db quite a bit. not good options, really.

i don't know anything about other systems that do what you describe, but nvogel has you covered there. :)

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

jleach
post May 30 2020, 04:21 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Administrator

Git, markdown and a common editor and export-to-pdf plugin for it like VS Code work wonders for documentation version control. We've been leaning towards this latest after a long stretch of Confluence use.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

kfield7
post May 31 2020, 08:35 AM
Post#7

Here is a commercial system that does this, I don't know what it costs.

It's an impressive system.
You can manage PDF, Word docs, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. with this. There are very rigid versioning controls.
You can assign update schedules.
You can assign owner, writer, reviewer, and approver roles based on groups or individuals.
You can require passing of questionnaires by required readers.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    9th July 2020 - 06:51 AM