UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Issues Working In Multiple Monitor Environment With Ultra Hd 4k Monitors, Any Versions    

cocoflipper
post May 13 2019, 05:24 PM
Post#1

Hi all,

I usually post Access questions here on occasion, but a recent change to my development environment has me scratching my head and wondering if I should scrap a change I've made.

Previous to the change, I had older 21" monitors. If I can recall the setup without returning to those monitors, it was something like 1280 x 720. Maybe 1080p HD. I can't recall. But these were older monitors (around 6-8 years old). My configuration was three monitors wide - the laptop on the right, then the two main development screens in front of me. I recall that I would fly through navigation on this configuration - never had a noticeable issue with moving between screens once I got these set up.

I recently "upgraded" to some Dell 28" Ultra HD 4K Monitor (model S2817Q), and I am just having a touch time adjusting. I thought I would enhance my development with all the added real estate, but the navigation within the two UHD monitors is a hassle, and takes away from what I thought would be the benefits of the wider screens. The main issue is the mouse movement. I don't know how to explain it other than the precision of the mouse when I navigate to the UHD monitors is maddeningly inaccurate. I feel like my mouse is on skates at times, then at times not moving in coordination with my physical mouse movement. I'll move the mouse, feel it's not moving enough, push it further, then find that I've overrun the thing I was trying to get to. I've checked for new drivers, and per Windows there are no updates to the drivers I do have. All three of the monitors have the Windows recommend settings - the two Dell 28" monitors are 3840x2160 resolution, scaled at 200% for my eyes (150% is recommended, but that text is way too small), the laptop is 1366x768 and 100%, which is recommended by Windows Display settings.

Without trying to get into troubleshooting my particular scenario, I'd first like to test out my sanity. Has anyone out there experienced some similar issues when moving to UHD monitors, particularly when it comes to developing in Access ? Do tell! If you do have suggestions for improvements or fixes, I'm all ears. I'd like to keep my current configuration with the two new UHD monitors, but every time I work on my db projects, I become wistful for my prior environment.

Thanks for any input!

--------------------
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."
- Napolean Hill, author
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post May 13 2019, 08:21 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Do you use a wireless mouse?

Does your new setup involve USB3 ports which you didn't have previously?

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

Minty
post May 14 2019, 04:06 AM
Post#3

Access IMHO, particularly the later versions, doesn't work well on 4k monitors from a developers perspective.

Using Acc 2016 - It can help when you want a form in full "normal" view with all the properties and navigation window open, so you are seeing it in all it's glory.
But trying to pick the corner of a window to expand it, is like catching a butterfly with your eyes closed and relying on the flap of it's wings.

Things I tried - Try setting your mouse speed / responsiveness to one that matches the 4k monitors, not your laptop.
In fact try closing your laptop screen to avoid the temptation to then use those settings on the laptop screen resolution, as what works on one by definition is probably going to be rubbish on the other.

cocoflipper
post May 14 2019, 04:52 AM
Post#4

cheekybuddha - yes I do use the wireless mouse. I the setup I have includes putting the dongle behind the laptop and docking station, so I may mess around with placement and see if that helps. The placement is no different than where I had it with the prior setup of the 21" inch monitors, so right now I am comparing apples to apples with where the wireless dongle sits. There has been no change to USB3 ports, as I'm using the same docking station. Hopefully I understood the reason you are asking that.

Minty - finding Access 2016 has the same exasperating issues, including the corner picking issue. Make development so slow and adds a pain element. Don't know if this is also a result of the configuration, but seems to revert back to the jumpy navigation pane, too. I will try you setting suggestions when I get back to the location. I'd hate to close the laptop screen - I'm so used to having three windows - but for sanity sake I may actually pawn these monitors off and go back to my prior configuration.

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

cheekybuddha
post May 14 2019, 05:03 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

The reason I asked was because I had similar symptoms with a Logitech wireless mouse - no HD4k monitors!

It turned out that the new multi-port USB3 hub that I got isn't shielded well enough and caused interference to the mouse' USB receiver.

The solution for me was to attach a USB2 extension cable and plug the receiver into that, with the physical receiver a couple of feet away from the USB3 ports.

Don't know if this is your situation, but thought I'd throw it out there in case.

hth,

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

cocoflipper
post May 15 2019, 12:26 PM
Post#6

Thanks for the response, cheekybuddha. This isn't my scenario, but appreciate the suggestion.

I moved the dongle to my wireless mouse over to another area of my desk. Still a choppy mouse experience, not fluid at all. It's hard to define responsiveness, but when it's there you notice it. Again, it's kind of like the mouse is on skates, plus add in a choppy movie real feeling and a bit of fogginess.... tough to explain. But definitely not the control I was used to.

My next step is to call Dell support and see if they have suggestions on how to configure these monitors to improve upon my experience, help it if possible. But ultimately, I think it may be fruitless. Already planning to pawn these off to another coworker but first must track down my old 21/22" monitors...
This post has been edited by cocoflipper: May 15 2019, 12:28 PM

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th June 2019 - 08:53 PM