UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Share Options, Windows 7    

ebwhittaker
post Jan 17 2019, 02:21 PM
Post#1

If i log in to the remote computer using a remote user set up with admin privldges i get into my remote desktop. If i bring up windows explorer and set the share options for me, admin, system, etc. Does this aldo chsnge in the primsry users shares?
I set up share under my remote log in but keep getting an exclusive use error
Kind of hoping i will need to Team viewer in and set the share options
Thanks for any help and suggestions
Ed
This post has been edited by ebwhittaker: Jan 17 2019, 02:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Jan 20 2019, 11:11 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

All a share does is let you see a folder on another server. You need to ensure that the permissions are set correctly for the user if you wish to be able to do anything with the files you access through the share.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

ebwhittaker
post Jan 20 2019, 11:51 AM
Post#3

Thanks
I set the entire directory to share but found i also needed to set the backend file . Now seems to be working

ebwhittaker
post Jan 22 2019, 11:14 AM
Post#4

getting the [conflct] files again
under tools-advanced should the check box open darabase with record locking be checked?
If not shouldi chec the edited record lock
my concern is noone other than the main primary user was logged on when the conflict occured
Help!
Thanks
Ed

Doug Steele
post Jan 22 2019, 09:06 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

What permissions do all users have on the folder? They need a minimum of Read and Write on the folder (and should probably have Delete permission as well). That's because the first user connecting needs to be able to create the locking file (which must be in the same folder as the database) and subsequent users need to be able to update the locking file. When the last user disconnects from the database, Access is going to try and delete the locking file.

Basically, see whether each user is capable of creating a text file (using Notepad) in the folder, updating the text file created by another user, and deleting a text file.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    7th December 2019 - 01:28 AM