UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Very Long If Statement ? If Or ? If And ?, Any Version    

bakersburg9
post Jul 30 2019, 09:24 AM
Post#1

This could also be done in Access, but I posted here in Excel forum

My company has about 20 offices... what's so crazy is that the job numbers include the office number as part of the job number, and 2 offices can have the same job number! (Only 2 max)

How do you know exactly what office the job belongs to? If the 5-digit sequential job number starts with a 6 or a zero! The office number is in the 4th position of the 10-digit job number, but in the majority of cases, the job number is not unique... So, for example, San Francisco and Los Angeles are both office#4, but if the last 5-digits of the job number starts with a zero, the job was in Los Angeles and if it
(the last five digits of the job number) starts with a SIX then the job was started by the Los Angeles office

My question is this: Is the only way I can write a query/make-table query to have a massive, gargantuan IF statement to determine what office the job originated in?

Another example:
Anaheim office is office #4 and the Chicago office is ALSO #4 - but the 3rd section of the Anaheim sequential job #'s start with zero, like
Go to the top of the page

ADezii
post Jul 30 2019, 09:50 AM
Post#2

If you could actually Post some Sample Data along with expected results, that would be very helpful. Try to cover as many contingencies as possible.

bakersburg9
post Jul 30 2019, 10:11 AM
Post#3

Adezii,

You can kind of see what I did here - luckily, this is a one-and-done, but inquiring minds want to know

Thanks for chiming in !!

Steve

EDIT: the screen shot is from another tab, where I "forced" a unique value for the office, like Dallas and Los Angeles are both office #2, but the Job numbers for Dallas start with "6" in that 3rd section of the job #, with the format XXX-XX-XXXXX So Los Angeles is office number "2," and Dallas is 2X, just for the purpose of populating the office names
This post has been edited by bakersburg9: Jul 30 2019, 10:15 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IFchallenge.png ( 40.23K )Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  IFchallengeExcel.zip ( 10.43K )Number of downloads: 2

kfield7
post Jul 30 2019, 12:25 PM
Post#4

In general, if I have numerous "ifs" I will build a table. In Access, I use a join query. In Excel, I use vlookup. Either way, I compare to a table with

if Value then result

This can help clean up complex if statements, especially for simple sub-constructs. You may need to add stuff to the if statement for exceptions, but this approach works for me.

bakersburg9
post Jul 30 2019, 01:39 PM
Post#5

Kfield,
Thanks for your reply - that's very helpful - I was just curious on suggestions on how to handle this in a more 'organic,' ongoing situation - fortunately for me and the task at hand, this is just a huge block of static data, and just basically a "one-and-done" scenario - sometimes, the cost/benefit factor doesn't warrant taking the time to construct a ginormous IF/AND statement or whatever, I was ok with the way I accomplished this task, because it went pretty quick, but I appreciate your input - I need to get better at working with tables in Excel

Thanks again! cool.gif

steve

WildBird
post Jul 30 2019, 04:44 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

My rule of thumb, and I am sure many others, is if it can be managed/maintained in data, as opposed to code or formula, then that is the way to go.

Having a table with data is preferable than having values in a formula in my opinion. Unless those values are NEVER going to change, and performance is paramount, then a formula might be OK, but for me, I prefer maintainability over a slight performance gain.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th October 2019 - 09:34 PM