UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting Access Database Over To SQL. How Should I Handle Security?, Any Version    

mturpin
post Jun 20 2019, 11:21 AM
Post#1

We are in the process of transferring our current database application over to a SQL Server and previously we were using a MDW file to hold our security groups and users in. What is the best way to be able to implement security through the SQL Database? This also presents the problem of being able to identify which user edited a document with functions such as CurrentUser(). What is the best way to go about this problem?
P.S. If you have any useful links or ideas on converting to a SQL Server please fill free to share.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 20 2019, 11:26 AM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

When you use SQL Server, you have two options for user accounts. You can manually create usernames and passwords, or use the existing Windows accounts. To assign permissions, you would want to create groups/roles and assign permissions to the groups/roles. You would then assign users to groups/roles.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

nvogel
post Jun 20 2019, 05:35 PM
Post#3

Best practice is to use the user's Windows login and control roles and permissions in SQL Server based on that. Permissions can be very fine-grained. You can grant or deny access to individual procs, views, tables, columns and rows.

Usually it's also standard practice either to have a server-side data access layer (e.g. written in .NET) or to use stored procedures for data access rather than allow desktop applications to access tables directly.

This post has been edited by nvogel: Jun 20 2019, 05:35 PM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2019 - 12:03 AM