UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vba Code To Activate Stored Procedure, Access 2016    

azizrasul
post Oct 22 2019, 08:57 AM
Post#1

I have a stored procedure called "ListLeaveapplication".

I have copied the following code from the internet and trying to get my call to the stored procedure to work. I am getting an error on line as indicated below. Anyone have ideas why I'm getting this and whether the code overall will do what I want? The purpose of the stored procedure return value is to produce the recordsource of a form. So I also need to work that out as well.

CODE
Dim cmd As ADODB.Command
    Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim strConnectionString As String, strSQL As String
    Dim StrSproc As String
    Dim Rs As New ADODB.Recordset

strConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SQL2008CLS\LEW;Initial Catalog=MedicalLeave;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"

With cnn
        .CommandTimeout = 900
        .ConnectionString = strConnectionString
        .Open
    End With

With cmd
        .ActiveConnection = cnn                    'ERROR HERE (91:Object variable or With block variable not set)
        .CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
        .CommandText = "ListLeaveapplication"
        .Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@parameter1", adInteger, adParamInput, , LTrim(Str(intCurrentConsultant)))
        .Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@parameter2", adInteger, adParamInput, , 1)
        .Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@parameter3", adInteger, adParamInput, , "'" & strDateFrom & "'")
        .Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@parameter4", adInteger, adParamInput, , "'" & strDateTo & "'")
    End With

With Rs
        .CursorType = adOpenStatic
        .CursorLocation = adUseClient
        .LockType = adLockOptimistic
        .Open cmd
    End With
'    Application.StatusBar = "Running stored procedure..."
    Set rst = cmd.Execute

The original line of code in a MS Access 2002 adp database, which I am trying to migrate to MS Access 2016 is

CODE
Me.RecordSource = "Execute dbo.ListLeaveapplications " & LTrim(str(intCurrentConsultant)) & ", 1, '" & strDateFrom & "', '" & strDateTo & "'"

--------------------
Aziz
Go to the top of the page

arnelgp
post Oct 22 2019, 09:15 AM
Post#2

you forget to initialize cmd

Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command

--------------------
Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

azizrasul
post Oct 22 2019, 09:43 AM
Post#3

Great. Changed the declaration to, which made it work.

CODE

I now get an error on line

CODE
.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@parameter3", adInteger, adParamInput, , "'" & strDateFrom & "'")

where the error is 3421:Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.

strDateFrom is 2019-01-01

The stored procedure is

CODE
Me.RecordSource = "Execute dbo.ListLeaveapplications " & LTrim(str(intCurrentConsultant)) & ", 1, '" & strDateFrom & "', '" & strDateTo & "'"
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[ListLeaveapplications] @ConsultantId Int, @LeaveTypeToBeShown int, @Startdate datetime, @Enddate datetime AS BEGIN
SET               NOCOUNT ON DECLARE @ConsultantIdLOCAL INT = @ConsultantId, @StartdateLOCAL DATETIME = @Startdate,
                        @EnddateLOCAL DATETIME = @Enddate, @LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL INT = @LeaveTypeToBeShown
                            SELECT      @LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL = ISNULL(@LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL, 1), @StartdateLOCAL = ISNULL(@StartdateLOCAL,
                                                     '2007/01/01'), @EnddateLOCAL = ISNULL(@EnddateLOCAL, '2017/12/31') IF @ConsultantId IS NOT NULL BEGIN
                                                         SELECT      LeaveApplicationId, StartDate, EndDate, NumberOfDays, B.LeaveTypeDescription, ApplicationTimeStamp,
                                                                                  C.StatusDescription, A.AppliedLate, A.StatusCode
                                                          FROM           tblLeaveApplicationRequests A LEFT JOIN
                                                                                  tblLeaveTypes B ON A.LeaveType = B.LeaveTypeId LEFT JOIN
                                                                                  tblApplicationstatusCodes C ON A.StatusCode = C.StatusCodeid
                                                          WHERE       (@LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL = 1 AND ConsultantId = @ConsultantIdLOCAL AND ((Startdate >= @StartdateLOCAL AND
                                                                                  Startdate <= @EnddateLOCAL) OR
                                                                                  (Startdate < @StartdateLOCAL AND Enddate >= @StartdateLOCAL))) OR
                                                                                  (@LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL = 2 AND ConsultantId = @ConsultantIdLOCAL AND LeaveType = 1 AND
                                                                                  ((Startdate >= @StartdateLOCAL AND Startdate <= @EnddateLOCAL) OR
                                                                                  (@LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL = 3 AND ConsultantId = @ConsultantIdLOCAL AND LeaveType = 3 AND
                                                                                  (@LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL = 4 AND ConsultantId = @ConsultantIdLOCAL AND LeaveType = 4 AND
                                                                                  (@LeaveTypeToBeShownLOCAL = 5 AND ConsultantId = @ConsultantIdLOCAL AND LeaveType <> 1 AND
                                                                                  LeaveType <> 3 AND LeaveType <> 4 AND ((Startdate >= @StartdateLOCAL AND Startdate <= @EnddateLOCAL) OR
                                                                                  (Startdate < @StartdateLOCAL AND Enddate >= @StartdateLOCAL)))
                                                          ORDER BY StartDate END END

This post has been edited by azizrasul: Oct 22 2019, 09:56 AM

--------------------
Aziz

arnelgp
post Oct 22 2019, 10:26 AM
Post#4

parameters 3 and 4 are declared as DateTime on your stored proc.

.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@parameter3", adDBTimeStamp, adParamInput, , CDate(strDateFrom) + Time(Now()))

--------------------
Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

AlbertKallal
post Oct 22 2019, 11:05 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

The following should work:
CODE
Sub test5553434()

Dim strSQL  As String
   strSQL = LTrim(str(intCurrentConsultant)) & "," & _
            "1," & _
            qudateSQL(strDateFrom) & "," & _
            qudateSQL(strDateTo)

With CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryPass")
      .SQL = "exec ListLeaveapplication " & strSQL
      .ReturnsRecords = False
      .Execute
   End With

End Sub

Or, if you wanted to actually specify the paramters and thus not have to worry about “order” of the params, you could use this:

CODE
Sub test5553435()

Dim strSQL  As String
   strSQL = "@ConsultantId = " & LTrim(str(intCurrentConsultant)) & "," & _
            "@LeaveTypeToBeShown = 1," & _
            "StartDate = " & qudateSQL(strDateFrom) & "," & _
            "EndDate = " & qudateSQL(strDateTo)

.SQL = "exec ListLeaveapplication " & strSQL
      .ReturnsRecords = False
      .Execute
   End With

End Sub

A few notes and points about the above:

No connection string in code – nice.

No having to setup an ado command object – nice.

And second example allows out of order for your params.

And while we are using string concat for the paramets, you STILL get SQL injection and parmater protection.

In fact, when you use t-SQL to call another store proc you be usings exec sp_name “params here”

The other important aspect here is the use of a PT query. My re-link code includes any PT query during the re-link process, so you avoid having any hard coded strings in your application. You want to allow poiting your database to different ones with ease.

And for dates? Well I always built a date formatter, since for JET/ACE you have to use USA format, and for SQL server, then of course “ansi” date format.

So, in all my apps I have qu(), qudate() (for jet)

And

QuSQL(), qudateSQL() for SQL server.

The function qudateSQL() is thus this:
CODE
Public Function qudateSQL(MyDate As Variant) As String

' returns a formatted string of date,
   ' format is yyyy-mm-dd

If IsNull(MyDate) = True Then
      qudateSQL = ""
   Else
      ' USE iso date format
      qudateSQL = "'" & Format(MyDate, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "'"
   End If

End Function

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

azizrasul
post Oct 23 2019, 04:37 AM
Post#6

Thanks AlbertKallal, looks pretty good.

Just been diverted to something else. It's always the way just as you are on the cusp of finishing something, you are directed away. Will return to this asap and repost if I have further issues.

--------------------
Aziz

AlbertKallal
post Oct 23 2019, 04:28 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

No worries. As noted, the other suggestions (ADO) are also a fine approach here.

I quite much adopted the above approach and do find it the least effort.
However there are many different approaches that can work.

Good luck!

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

azizrasul
post Oct 24 2019, 03:31 AM
Post#8

How would I amend the code to include a connection? My connection string is

CODE
strConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SQL2008CLS\LEW;Initial Catalog=MedicalLeave;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"

When I get to the

CODE
.Execute

it directs me to the SQL server connection. When I select the dsn, it says it's failed.

--------------------
Aziz

cheekybuddha
post Oct 24 2019, 05:32 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

A quick note, Aziz:

Albert's method is using a "pass-through" query. At the moment it is set not to return any records (.ReturnsRecords = False), which should be set for action queries/procedures carrying out action queries (eg INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE).

Your stored proc appears to select records and so you must set .ReturnsRecords = True

However, not that all recordsets returned via a "pass-through" query will be read-only. You will need code to write any updates back to the server.

Depending on settings, your recordset returned via ADO might be updateable.

hth,

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

azizrasul
post Oct 24 2019, 06:43 AM
Post#10

I'm not very familiar with pass thru queries. I have set the ReturnRecords to True. However I still get an error on the .Execute line even though I have open "qryPass" in designed view and pressed the ODBC link in properties to point to the DSN.
Here is what I now have.

CODE
    Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim strConnectionString As String
    Dim Rs As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim strDateFrom As String
    Dim strDateTo As String
    Dim strSQL  As String
    Dim intCurrentConsultant As Integer

strDateFrom = "01/01/2019"
    strDateTo = "01/01/2021"
    intCurrentConsultant = 1593

strSQL = LTrim(Str(intCurrentConsultant)) & "," & "1," & qudateSQL(strDateFrom) & "," & qudateSQL(strDateTo)

.SQL = "exec ListLeaveapplications " & strSQL
       .ReturnsRecords = True
       .Execute
    End With

I get error 3065 (Cannot execute a select query).

In the original MS Access 2002 file, the result of the select query became the recordsource of a form, which is what I want in the MS Access 2016 database. Hope that makes sense.

When I run "qryPass" by double clicking, then it produces records.
This post has been edited by azizrasul: Oct 24 2019, 06:45 AM

--------------------
Aziz

cheekybuddha
post Oct 24 2019, 07:03 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Since you are trying to get a recordset, use .OpenRecordset instead of .Execute

hth,

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

azizrasul
post Oct 24 2019, 08:11 AM
Post#12

Ah now I understand, the penny has dropped. Many thanks.

--------------------
Aziz

AlbertKallal
post Oct 31 2019, 08:42 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

You code should now look like:
CODE
    Dim strDateFrom As String
    Dim strDateTo As String
    Dim strSQL  As String
    Dim intCurrentConsultant As Integer

strDateFrom = "01/01/2019"
    strDateTo = "01/01/2021"
    intCurrentConsultant = 1593

strSQL = LTrim(Str(intCurrentConsultant)) & "," & "1," & qudateSQL(strDateFrom) & "," & qudateSQL(strDateTo)

dim rst   as DAO.RecordSet

.ReturnsRecords = True
       set rst = .OpenRecordSet()
    End With

I don't have a ADO example, but hopefully your only reason to use ADO was the desire to use/call store procs. I tend to still use DAO even with SQL server.

so, for example, say we wanted to launch a report based on above?
Then:
CODE
       .ReturnsRecords = True
    End With

docmd.OpenReport "some report",acViewPreview

In above it would be assumed that the report is based on qryPass.

As note how the posted code does not need to declare any connection strings etc. It is assumed that you set the connection string in the PT query. So, in my table re-link code, I also re-link any PT query also. As a result, you really never have to deal with connection strings or even a connection object in code. This also means you don't have to introduce ADO into your application. If you already have been using ADO, then not a big deal and don't worry. However, I tend to prefer not having to introduce ADO to "just" use some PT queries if that is the only reason for using ADO.

R
Albert

azizrasul
post Nov 1 2019, 04:28 AM
Post#14

Thanks Albert.

--------------------
Aziz

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th November 2019 - 04:52 PM