UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Create A Contract Report, Access 2016    

savingryan
post Nov 8 2019, 09:19 AM
Post#1

I am in the beginning stages of creating a database that will in part, give me the ability to generate a purchase contract report. I'll print to PDF and have my customers sign through DocuSign. As is the nature of a contract, it is somewhat wordy. My approach was going to be to create a series of unbound text boxes to hold the boiler plate text. The data will populate into bound text boxes from record sources. My initial attempt to build the report has been met with an error message stating the field "...is invalid because it is too long, or contains invalid characters". So I thought it best if I back up and see what are the best practices for creating a report with a lot of text. My reading on-line has found solutions all over the board. From Mail Merging into a WORD doc to using ITtoolbox, etc. but none that talk about the proper formatting of the text fields to hold a bunch of text. Ideally, I'd just like an Access report that contains all the text from our contract, with fields that allow my to populate data specific to each customer and the system they are purchasing. Is this possible? Is it the best way?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 8 2019, 11:01 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

This should work, although it does tend to be a bit fussy.

Define your fields in the table as Long Text so they can contain as much text as possible. Define them as Rich Text so you can apply html formatting to the text.

Attached File  RichTextforBoilerPlate.png ( 23.57K )Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

savingryan
post Nov 8 2019, 01:31 PM
Post#3

Thanks, that is helpful, but what do you suggest for the "Unbound" text boxes I use to create the wording of the contract (not pulling from a table)? Put another way, I am trying to figure out how to get all the text from my contract into the report without getting a error. What is the best way to create a report that is 6 pages, primarily boiler plate text?

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 9 2019, 09:49 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

I was under the impression you would store all of the boilerplate in fields in a table and only insert those elements that applied to a given contract.

If, on the other hand, some percentage of all contracts contains the same boiler plate, then that can be stored directly in the report itself and only the variable text inserted as content in text controls.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "getting all the text from my contract into the report". Are you saying that you want to extract wording from another document (like a Word document, for example) and insert it into the Access report? Am I misinterpreting the situation?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Nov 9 2019, 10:08 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

You can try storing the constant values in the report.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th November 2019 - 08:47 PM