UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forward Without Using A Rule?, Office 2013    

WildBird
post Jun 20 2019, 04:20 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

Where I work, we have 2 environments basically. It is one company that has been bought out by another, and we are using both environments still. I spend vast majority in the new company environment, in fact I only go to other one to export some reports (I have code to export SSRS reports and then encrypt them, and then email them to my other account. I have to use a program named ClickYes to avoid the 'Outlook is trying to send a message on your behalf...' message).
I get emails sent to both emails.

This morning we got an email saying that auto forwarding may have been causing an outage, and told we cant use them.

Hi All, We require your URGENT assistance.

XXX has identified yourselves as having created auto-forward rules from your XXXXXXX outlook client to @XXX.com addresses. XXX had an outage yesterday which they believe may have been caused or exacerbated by these rules.

Can you all please urgently remove the Auto-forward client rules from your outlook on the VDI Outlook.

I am just wondering if there is a way that I can use some other way to auto forward basically, but not use the rules?

Cheers

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 20 2019, 05:29 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

I wonder. Is it the RULES causing the problem? Or is it the frequent FORWARDING itself that causes the problem?

I'd be tempted to follow up with an inquiry as to HOW this forwarding process is interfering? Maybe there's a compromise alternative other than flat out banning something.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

WildBird
post Jun 23 2019, 05:38 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Got an explanation this morning. People had it set up to forward an email from one account to the other. If the other account, the receiving account, had an out of office, it was sending an email back to the first account. This was then forwarding this out of office reply to the other account, and was basically going into a loop.

Will have a look into it more when I get the chance.

Cheers

--------------------

nuclear_nick
post Jun 24 2019, 05:55 AM
Post#4

Probably just adding to the rule an 'Out Of Office' exception would fix that part?

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

WildBird
post Jun 24 2019, 03:54 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Nick,

I agree, there is likely ways with the rules and exceptions, but when you are dealing with up to 1,000 people with possibly limited IT skills, you need to deal with the lowest common denominator.

I will look later. Its a unique situation I am in here, I have worked in more places than most, and never had this situation before.

Cheers

--------------------

nuclear_nick
post Jun 25 2019, 06:55 AM
Post#6

The people may have limited skills... what about the IT department itself? I'm learning all kinds of things they can do, have done, etc...

Just a thought.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th November 2019 - 12:30 AM