UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porting An Access App To Word, Any Version    

tbacon_nz
post Mar 26 2018, 08:49 PM
Post#1

Hello All,
I have a small Access 2016 application (1 table, 3 forms, 1 report and a small amount of supporting VBA) that prints labels from a table and optionally skips to a specific label position (so I don't waste labels). This is for a community organisation that I am involved in. I have decided I want to be ready to hand this responsibility on at some time, so I want the app to be be usable by others - probably with no ownership of Access. I am thinking of porting the app to MS Word as nearly everybody has that.

I have experience of Access development and VBA, but none in Word, so I would be grateful for any pointers as to how to go about it. In an ideal world I would be able to just export the whole thing from Access and import it into Word - but I suspect that ain't gonna happen!

I have an old (Word 2000!) book on Word VBA, but I'm not sure how helpful that is going to be .

Any suggestions or pointers to resources would be most welcome.

Go to the top of the page

zaxbat
post Mar 26 2018, 09:18 PM
Post#2

Last time I checked, Access has a free runtime environment so you do not neet to try to port to word.

https://www.google.com/search?q=download+ms...me&ie=UTF-8
This post has been edited by zaxbat: Mar 26 2018, 09:29 PM

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 26 2018, 09:39 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Word is a word processing application.

Access is a development tool for creating database management systems.

No practical way to "port" an Access database to Word.

That said, you can AUTOMATE Word from Access, i.e. you can export certain objects to Word.

What, exactly, would you envision this might involve? Perhaps, with a bit more detail we could offer some helpful suggestions.

tbacon_nz
post Mar 26 2018, 09:57 PM
Post#4

Access has a free runtime environment so you do not need to try to port to word.

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? I know why - I'm rarely using Access these days and I've never actually used the runtime. I installed it on another machine and it all worked well. I'll have to pretty up the current app a bit (the data is created/edited by directly editing a table) but that's probably not a bad idea anyway.

Thanks for setting me straight.

tbacon_nz
post Mar 26 2018, 10:00 PM
Post#5

GroverParkGeorge:
See my response to zaxbat. I do understand the difference between Access and Word - I was just hoping to reproduce the functionality in a form that most people would have available and wondered if Word could give me that - after all, it does have tables and one can create forms etc. However the Access runtime is a much better solution.

Thanks.
This post has been edited by tbacon_nz: Mar 26 2018, 10:01 PM

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 27 2018, 05:41 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

If your tool does not need to store any data, and the only use is to fill out a form and print it, then Word probably is a better choice because, after all, it does have much more control as a Word processing/layout tool.

However, the concept of a table to store data for more than a one-time use for this purpose is quite a different thing.

It's similar to using a pair of pliers to pound in a nail. Yeah, you CAN do it.

If you can deploy the accdb with the runtime, that's a better choice for a situation where you want to reuse the data stored in a data storage structure for future recall and use.

tbacon_nz
post Mar 27 2018, 12:45 PM
Post#7

Thanks.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th July 2019 - 05:10 PM