UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestion On How To Handle Multi Values....., Access 2013    

slowpoke
post Oct 9 2019, 10:04 AM
Post#1

Hi there... looking for suggestions or ideas... not even sure what to call this function.

I'm converting a SAFETY WORD document into an Access Database. In this work document, there are several topic areas the user can check or tick:

Here's a given example:

AREAS OF CORRECTIVE ACTIVE

1. Leadership and Administration [ ]
2. Leadership Training [ ]
3. Planned Inspection & Maintenance [ ]
4. Critical Task Procedure [ ]
.... list goes on and on...

The user will simply check all that applies. In the Access World, there'a a finite amount of fields on a form, hence....

what is the best way to collect this information (don't forget, I need to report on it later on).

Any guidance or examples would be awesome. Appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thanks.

MW
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Oct 9 2019, 10:18 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. To overcome the limit with the "finite amount of fields on a form," you just make sure you normalize your table structure. So, instead of placing checkboxes with long labels all over the form, you simply use a subform and the user can just scroll down to see all the options.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 9 2019, 10:37 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Invest some time in learning how Relational Database Applications--such as those created with MS Access--are designed. That process starts with tables, and tables must be put into a Normalized table structure.

You are describing what amounts to a spreadsheet, and that's not appropriate for a Relational Database Application.

Once you get that sorted out, you'll find your forms much easier to design and build.

You will end up mostly using main form/subform designs which support the tables in a Relational Database Application.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd October 2019 - 06:06 AM