UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Office What? Which One Has Access?    

MadPiet
post Jun 3 2020, 05:26 PM
Post#1

<rant>
Dear Microsoft, please refrain from renaming everything every time marketing tells you to. It's super annoying. "Office Professional" isn't the greatest name, but at least we all know what it means. Thank you!
</rant>

Okay, stupid question... Which version(s) of Office 365 (or whatever it's calling itself these days) has Access? I just got Family, which is wrong (because I looked at the image and it had Access in there, which I sort of need)? Sorry for sounding super [censored] off, I'm just annoyed. Guess I should cancel this subscription and get a different one?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Jun 3 2020, 05:57 PM
Post#2

Well, to add insult to injury, its no longer called Office365. They renamed that to Microsoft365 (M365) smile.gif
Last time I checked, all subscription plans now include Desktop Access when you download Office Pro Plus from your subscription, but that's subject to change, so I would periodically check that.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

RJD
post Jun 3 2020, 06:03 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Pieter: Yeah, a bit confusing. Looks like MS calls the "packages" Microsoft 365 now (see HERE), with trailing word(s) with Family (2-6 users), Personal (1 user), Business (plus another descriptor - multiple of these). Except for Microsoft 365 Business Basic, they contain all 6 usual parts, including Access (although Access and Publisher must be loaded locally on your PC only - and must "check in" every 30 days to keep the app up-to-date, over which it seems you have no version control). If you are only using the package on one computer, then I would go with Personal, unless you need some of the extra business services or more "seats."

I agree with the "rant" part of your post. It does seem unnecessarily confusing/frustrating. Welcome to subscription services. I have passed up getting anything new and am staying with Office 2010 paid-up license for now. A friend was talked into loading 365 Personal by an office supply store clerk (who really knew nothing except how to ring up the sale, as it turns out). And she was totally lost on what to do to load it, and didn't know Access had to be loaded locally and connected at least every 30 days. Fixed now, but the whole thing was confusing and needed complete help to get it set up - and she still doesn't understand where things are.

And I am still confused by what MS has done with paid-up licenses...

Joining you in the "rant" and confusion ...

Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

MadPiet
post Jun 3 2020, 06:34 PM
Post#4

UPDATE... <clicking of typewriters>

I found it! Man, I'm sooo smart some days! Apparently "Family" does include it. Super confusing, because I could find everything else in the Programs menu, but not Access. But of course, when I tried opening a database by double-clicking, it opened...

that was fun. Mission accomplished, though. (Phew!)

FrankRuperto
post Jun 3 2020, 07:16 PM
Post#5

And I am still confused by what MS has done with paid-up licenses...

MS probably hid them in some obscure weblink, or they no longer market perpetual license versions.
Subscription Office provides a recurring income stream for them. If you don't renew, Desktop Office Pro Plus stops working.
We have been using 32-bit Office 2010 Pro (msi perpetual license version for 3 PC's) since October 2011.
Each one of our pawnshop customers paid US$499.00 for that version. So it has yielded good value.
This version reaches end of life on October 14, 2020, and we're hoping it continues working for many years to come.
As a precaution, we're rewriting a php browser-based version of our app that will run in an on-premise intranet.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th July 2020 - 09:23 AM