UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting Adp Files, Access 2002    

azizrasul
post Oct 8 2019, 07:48 AM
Post#1

I have a series of MS Access 2002 adp files. My task is to migrate these db's to MS Access 2013 or MS Access 2016?

Any tips that I need to be aware of?

Still waiting for my PC to arrive with the version of MS Access that the employer wants the db's migrated to.

--------------------
Aziz
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 8 2019, 08:53 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Wow. That's a project. Best of luck.

ADPs are a special type of application. They were designed to work exclusively with a SQL Server back end. The objects in the Access ADP are very tightly integrated with SQL Server. As I recall, the version of the ADP (in this case, 2002) was also tightly linked with a specific SQL Server version, probably SS 2000 here.

That means there are two aspects to this project.

First, what to do with the existing SS 2000 tables. Should that SS instance be upgraded too?
Second, recreating the interface for a newer version of Access.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

azizrasul
post Oct 8 2019, 09:00 AM
Post#3

Erm, well nothing has been mentioned about upgrading the SS version. Can the SS 2000 tables not remain as is with MS Access 2013\2016?

--------------------
Aziz

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 8 2019, 09:02 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Sure. But you need to consider that as part of the project. I would make sure the client knows that it is a potential area of concern and should be evaluated.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

azizrasul
post Oct 8 2019, 09:08 AM
Post#5

Ah, OK I understand.

--------------------
Aziz

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 8 2019, 09:11 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

I suspect that, if you create a new accdb and import any VBA in the current ADP, it can be modified to work with linked SQL Server tables. Also, forms "should" work, again with minor modifications, when migrated into the new accdb.

The main thing I think you'll need to be aware of is that ADPs used ADO, so you'll need to set a reference to an ADO library.

Beyond that, it's probably going to depend to some extent on the features developed in the ADPs. If any were specific to that environment, they'll need to be replicated. Anyway, best of luck.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

azizrasul
post Oct 8 2019, 09:20 AM
Post#7

Thanks George. I haven't started the project just yet. Probably sometime next week. If I have any problems, I'll post back.

--------------------
Aziz

PhilS
post Oct 8 2019, 11:25 AM
Post#8

The objects in the Access ADP are very tightly integrated with SQL Server. As I recall, the version of the ADP (in this case, 2002) was also tightly linked with a specific SQL Server version, probably SS 2000 here.

It's important to distinguish between developing an ADP application and using it as "end user" just running the application.
If you are developing, e.g. designing SQL Server objects (tables, views, procs etc.), the designers in Access were indeed tightly linked to the SQL Server version. - Hardly anyone did this though, because the SQL Server tools, now mainly SQL Server Management Studio, were much better suited for this.

If you are just using an ADP application, the SQL Server version does not matter. I just migrated the SQL Server at one of my clients from SQL Server 2008 to SQL2017 and the ADPs there are running perfectly fine without any change to them!

A bit of background info can be found in my text on the rise and fall of the ADP project type.

If you can continue to use ADO for your project, and there are only very few limitations preventing that, most of your VBA code can remain (mostly) unchanged. How difficult a migration project is, depends primarily on how the application was developed, how many forms and particularly reports are in there, how complex they are and so on. These can only be determined when thouroughly examining the application in question.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 8 2019, 11:41 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

Thanks for the clarification regarding Access/SQL Server versions. I was thinking in terms of development because that is, in fact, the task at hand here, migrating from ADPs to accdbs. If the current version of SS installed here is, in fact, 2000, then it probably would be a good idea to evaluate that in addition to the Front End migration.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Oct 8 2019, 12:11 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

There's a lot of information available on this conversion.
Others have focused on the SQL tables.
However nobody has mentioned that you will need a copy of A2007 or A2010 because ADPs cannot be opened by later versions.

Here's one useful link https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1980703...ing-access-2013

--------------------

azizrasul
post Oct 8 2019, 03:02 PM
Post#11

Many thanks. That WILL be useful when the time comes.

--------------------
Aziz

PhilS
post Oct 8 2019, 04:20 PM
Post#12

I was thinking in terms of development because that is, in fact, the task at hand here, migrating from ADPs to accdbs.

Oh, sorry, it appears my "clarification" rather added to the confusion.
Any Access-SQL-Server-version-match-limitation only applies to designing SQL Server database objects. - This is a non-issue because nobody serious about SQL Server development would use Access for this; not even while it still worked.
It does not apply to any frontend development in Access.

However nobody has mentioned that you will need a copy of A2007 or A2010 because ADPs cannot be opened by later versions.

Well, on one hand, this is stating the obvious. Usually, the one and only reason for this kind of migration is that ADPs cannot be opened by Access 2013 and later.
On the other hand, this is very valuable information, because you can't even import the forms, reports etc. from the ADP file into an AccDb unless you do that in Access 2010 (or 2007).

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd October 2019 - 09:41 AM