UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chart On Form Doesn't Show Data Series, Access 2007    

Ron50
post Oct 9 2019, 03:14 PM
Post#1

Hi guys,

This is my very first topic on this forum. I hope somebody can help me out with this very annoying and stubborn issue that seems to me to be a bug of MS Graph.

I've created a scatter chart with one data series that displays the data series fine when it works. But at other times sometimes the chart shows only a blank Chart Area or the Plot Area without the graph. When the data series aren't showing I have to go into the MS Graph editor and click the button for "By Row" first and then the button for "By Column" to tell it that it has to look for the data in the columns. Even as the "by column" button is shown to be already switched on in the MS Graph editor. Most often this problem starts when the form containing the chart is opened. But after closing the form MS Graph seems to forget that I've set the data series "by column". As long as the form stays open, when going from record to record the chart has no problem to continue to show the graph. But after having closed the form and then reopening it the problem will quite often reoccur. No matter how many times I have told MS Graph that the data series are in the colums, it will often look for them in the rows when the form opens. Proof of this is that out of the blue I sometimes get the error message "Maximum number of data series is 255" on opening the form. There are only two data series in the columns and (of course) a large number of rows. MS Graphs seems to be extremely amnesic. The problem seems to happen randomly. Sometimes after closing and reopening the form the chart will show the data series. Another time is will show only a blank Chart Area or a blank Plot Area.

I hope I have sufficiently explained the problem.

The chart takes its row source data from a query that works fine.
The chart's property sheet says that it's a MSGraph.Chart.8 class object.
The chart's column count is set to 2.

I hope some of you guys know how this utter annoying problem can be fixed.

Thanks,
Ron50
This post has been edited by Ron50: Oct 9 2019, 03:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

June7
post Oct 9 2019, 04:35 PM
Post#2

Not an issue I have experienced. I analyze chart issues best when I have data and objects to work with. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

Ron50
post Oct 9 2019, 05:31 PM
Post#3

Hi June7,

Thank you for your quick reaction. I have compacted & repaired the database. Hope you can find your way.

Attached File  Woordenlijst_EN_NL.zip ( 1003.34K )Number of downloads: 7

Greetings,

Ron50
This post has been edited by Ron50: Oct 9 2019, 06:04 PM

June7
post Oct 9 2019, 05:56 PM
Post#4

I did not mention VBA nor did I expect there to be VBA. My offer stands.

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ron50
post Oct 9 2019, 07:10 PM
Post#5

Hi June7,

My bad, I misinterpreted your instructions. I went for the text in bold first, which was about VBA.
You can find the database attached to my last post.

Ron 50

June7
post Oct 10 2019, 02:31 AM
Post#6

Those two lines are in my post signature and display on all of my posts.

I am confused by relationships, SYN is compound linking to ENFREQ but neither of those tables has primary key, ENGELS has primary key.

This is odd behavior. One form won't display graph data at all and the other is erratic. Seems the graph gets messed up when switching form to design view. I can see scales change but line won't draw. The graph Master/Child Links are set and there is also filter in RowSource query. I don't think both are need, however, removing Links doesn't help.

Sorry, not seeing a solution other than not switching to Design view from Form view.

Most of my graphs have been on reports but I have done graphs on form and never encountered this issue.

--------------------

Ron50
post Oct 10 2019, 07:43 AM
Post#7

Hi June7,

Thank you for your effort. The reason why I hadn't set all the necessary primary keys is because I added the SYN an ENFREQ tables just a few days ago and I hadn't yet tested them for data integrity. But I've added the primary keys now.

At least you've been able to verify this strange behavior, so now I know that this has nothing to do with my computer system or my MS Access. I have given the problem another thought. Table ENFREQ1 (which contains the statistical data for the problematic chart) still needs to be populated with many statistical records that correspond to those of the ENGELS table. So for those records of the ENGELS table that do not have corresponding records in the ENFREQ1 table the chart must of course remain blank. This database is still fully in development. Perhaps this may create a problem for MS Graph, because sometimes the chart object receives the necessary data for drawing the graph, and at other times it receives no data at all. So maybe MS Graph gets confused by such erratic data input and therefore needs to be reset at every odd time. If that were the cause of the annoying behavior of MS Graph, then the problem would have to disappear by the time all (or almost all) the records in the ENGELS table have corresponding records in the ENFREQ1 table to feed the chart. Nevertheless not all of the records in the ENGELS table have corresponding statistical data. So for those few records the chart will never be able to show a graph. But in my opinion a charting interface should have the robustness to handle such irregular data input. MS Graph's reputation doesn't seem to be very good. I've encountered many posts that say to stay far away from MS Graph. It shouldn't be that way, of course. Once the setting for the data series (rows or columns) has been set it should remain in place indefinitely. I've never encountered such idiotic problems with MS Excel, but in my experience MS Graph's capabilities have always remained way behind those of MS Excel.

Ron50

June7
post Oct 10 2019, 03:49 PM
Post#8

I have a project with over a dozen graphs and never experienced this issue. However, record is only displayed on form or report when there is associated graph data. I have been quite satisfied with MSGraph performance. Yes, Excel graphing has more features but all my requirements have been adequately met within Access.

This post has been edited by June7: Oct 10 2019, 03:51 PM

--------------------

Ron50
post Oct 11 2019, 07:29 AM
Post#9

I revisited a few databases with lots of graphs that I made years ago. They appear to work flawlessly. But then those graphs are fed an uninterrupted data flow.

I'm getting more and more confident that the awkward behavior of MS Graph is caused by the still large gaps in the data flow to the graphs. When the graph shows an empty chart area, even though the query contains the data for the chart, in the MS Graph editor's interface the accompanying datasheet shows that it cannot decide where the X-axis is to be found, so it is at a loss as to how to plot the graph. In that state it is, so to speak, "disoriented". Clicking the "by row" and the "by column" buttons then tells MS Graph to look for the data for the X- and Y-axis in the columns of the data matrix. By clicking these buttons MS Graph is immediately reoriented so it can properly organize the data it receives to plot the graph.

Perhaps the problem is caused by the way MS Access interacts with MS Graph. Nowhere in the chart object's property sheet is a property to be found that says how the row source data matrix should be organized for the chart. There is a property for the column count. But that doesn't tell how the data matrix should be organized. Apparently MS Access leaves that to MS Graph to decide. This is probably why MS Graph has those two "by row" and the "by column" buttons. These are the buttons for organizing the data matrix. I think it would be much better to have a property for that in MS Access, because logically the organization of the chart's data matrix can already be taken in MS Access. There is no reason to have that organization changed by MS Graph downstream. In such a way MS Graph will always be able to look for that property in MS Access, thereby preventing MS Graph's proclivity to get disoriented when the data flow is interrupted. On the other hand, one may also ask: why should MS Access be MS Graph's caretaker? And my answer to that question would be that decisions should always be taken at the earliest logical moment. Postponement opens up the possibility of avoidable confusion and error. As in this case.

Ron50
post Oct 11 2019, 04:38 PM
Post#10

I thought that if I could prevent MS Graph from being activated when there is no statistical data to display in the graph that that would solve the problem. So I added an additional condition to the row source query that the foreign key must not be NULL. That didn't help much, though.
This post has been edited by Ron50: Oct 11 2019, 05:14 PM

Ron50
post Today, 06:17 AM
Post#11

There has been a change in that now the database holds statistical data for over 95% of the records shown in the forms where the graphs are situated, and still the graphs continue to be confused about where exactly the data series are in its row source. So this is probably not caused by a lack of data input. I'm currently more inclined to the view that this is caused by a serious flaw in the MS Graph software.

But I hope I'm wrong...

For I still hope that someone has also encountered this issue and found a solution for it. If anybody has ever experienced that a MS Graph chart turns blank because it doesn't know where the data series are its row source—even after having been told so repeatedly—and found a solution for this VERY annoying behavior: please let me know!

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd October 2019 - 09:59 AM