UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access For A Website, Access 2013 Web App    

Brandi
post Jan 11 2019, 12:50 PM
Post#1

I have never used the web applications for Access.
If I have a regular 2013 database, can it be imported into 2013 Web and are you ready to go or is there a lot to it?

I have an individual who has a spreadsheet for caterers to select recipes and order ingredients. Each recipe is a tab and there is an ingredient tab (basically an ingredient table) that would be populated with amounts to order based on the ingredient list on a recipe tab and user enters how many servings they would want. This is a very simplified description of the process.

I am trying to convince them they would be much better off with a website that allows caterers to login and select recipes and order ingredients that way versus trying to maintain and update a spreadsheet which will constantly be expanding.

I have created WordPress websites but nothing for ordering products, mostly informational.
But how does 2013 Web Access work? Is it something you attach to a webpage or is it a webpage (multiple web pages).

Thanks.
Brandi
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Jan 11 2019, 12:57 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Web applications for Access is deprecated, no longer supported by Microsoft. Turn around from this idea and just walk away! Don't ever look back.

You really should look toward WordPress, or a custom solution.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2018 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

theDBguy
post Jan 11 2019, 01:02 PM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Brandi,

Access and websites (eCommerce) are two different things. Access was never really meant for the web. MS tried twice to do it but gave up in the end. What you want to look into are web technologies rather than try to convert a desktop app into a web version.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 11 2019, 01:27 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

I don't want to pile on, so I'll avoid mentioning AWAs beyond noting that the concept was quite appealing, but implementation sorely lacking.

That said, you have a couple of ways to you can move forward with a database driven website.

I don't know if WordPress would be a good approach for that, but I have seen a lot of very nice looking websites built with it. I do my own with asp.net, so my exposure to WordPress development is non-existent. I assume that, if you need it to be database driven, WordPress can accommodate that.

The more likely approach might be a custom web site, with a SQL Server or MySQL database behind it. That means investing time and effort into acquiring the skills needed to work in that environment. It's a learning curve that'll pay off, though, when you can launch the website.

One aspect you didn't mention is whether this website would need to include an ordering an payment component. If so, you'll also need to find and implement a secure payment system.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Brandi
post Jan 11 2019, 01:45 PM
Post#5

Thank you all for your forthright answers. It would be an ecommerce sort of thing so that is out of my league for now. I do think WordPress would have themes and plugins to do all that but probably a bit of a learning curve.

Just curious. Is Access still highly used? I have used it for unique applications for 1 - 5 users but it seems like a web application would be the way to go now.

Thanks.
Brandi

theDBguy
post Jan 11 2019, 01:52 PM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Brandi,

Access is still usable for "internal" network use. Once you start talking about "web" (or cloud) usage, then you need to start looking elsewhere.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

bmanix
post Jan 11 2019, 02:21 PM
Post#7

Brandi,

I have a couple of thoughts here, since I have created a catering website:
1) Access is still widely used as a desktop environment. Once you want to move to a website, you need to create the website frontend in something other than Access.
2) Access data can be easily upsized (migrated) into SQL Server for the website backend data store.
3) Using Access first as a prototype (to design the screens, layout the data, and get customer approval) is great as a design tool before creating the website - if you have quick Access skills and tools.
4) As an alternative to a website, if your customer needs only internet shared data with your Access frontend screens and reports, it's easy to put the Access frontend and backend data on a terminal server to act like an app on the internet. But it is not a true website, though.
5) Once you add ecommerce onto the requirements, it's only a website solution for you.

Just my 2 cents worth.
briant
This post has been edited by bmanix: Jan 11 2019, 02:23 PM

Brandi
post Jan 11 2019, 02:51 PM
Post#8

Thanks.
This post has been edited by Brandi: Jan 11 2019, 02:52 PM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th May 2019 - 06:12 AM