UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Totaling, Access 2016    

mike60smart
post Jun 1 2020, 09:51 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Everyone

I have a report which displays a summary of scores for a given Day

Attached File  Scores.JPG ( 22.55K )Number of downloads: 0

Is it possible to sum the Individual Shooters so that I have totals as follows:-

Brian Bowling: Score = 438 XScore = 13
Jeff Kaufman: Score = 441 XScore = 15

Any Help appreciated

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 1 2020, 10:07 AM
Post#2

UA Moderator

You can if you take out the Day and Match numbers.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

mike60smart
post Jun 1 2020, 10:31 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Guy

I have to keep the DayNumber as there is a need to the Total for a number of Days

The SQL for the query is as follows:-

CODE
SELECT DISTINCT tblCompetionYear.CompetionYear, tblCompetition.CompetitionName, tbluDayNumbers.DayNumber, tbluMatchList.MatchList, qryRegShooterList.Shooter, tblRegisteredMatches.RegisteredMatchesID, Sum(tblRegisteredMatches.Score) AS SumOfScore, Sum(tblRegisteredMatches.XCount) AS SumOfXCount, tblRegisteredMatches.GroupSize, tblRegisteredMatches.BerdenString
FROM tbluDayNumbers RIGHT JOIN (((tblCompetionYear INNER JOIN tblCompetition ON tblCompetionYear.CompYearID = tblCompetition.CompYearID) INNER JOIN (tblRegistration LEFT JOIN qryRegShooterList ON tblRegistration.RegID = qryRegShooterList.RegID) ON tblCompetition.CID = tblRegistration.CID) INNER JOIN (tblCompDays INNER JOIN (tbluMatchList RIGHT JOIN tblRegisteredMatches ON tbluMatchList.MatchListID = tblRegisteredMatches.MatchID) ON tblCompDays.CompDayID = tblRegisteredMatches.CompDayID) ON tblRegistration.RegID = tblCompDays.RegID) ON tbluDayNumbers.DayNumberID = tblCompDays.DayNumberID
GROUP BY tblCompetionYear.CompetionYear, tblCompetition.CompetitionName, tbluDayNumbers.DayNumber, tbluMatchList.MatchList, qryRegShooterList.Shooter, tblRegisteredMatches.RegisteredMatchesID, tblRegisteredMatches.GroupSize, tblRegisteredMatches.BerdenString
HAVING (((tblCompetionYear.CompetionYear)=[Forms]![frmMain]![txtYear]) AND ((tblCompetition.CompetitionName)=[Forms]![frmMain]![txtComp]) AND ((tbluDayNumbers.DayNumber)="1"))
ORDER BY tblRegisteredMatches.GroupSize;

Can you do anything with this SQL ?

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 1 2020, 10:33 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

The pattern for all aggregate queries is that you can apply the various operators to certain fields -- in this case Sum([Score]) and Sum([XCount]) -- but those operators will be grouped on whatever other fields are present.

So, if you want to Sum two fields grouped on one other field -- in this case [ShootersName]-- only [ShootersName] can be present in the query in addition to the two other, aggregated fields. That means the GROUP BY clause will include that one field.

If you want to group by [ShootersName] and by [Day Nr], you can add that second field to the Group By clause to get your totals for each [ShootersName] on each [Day Nr].

Your sample data only includes 1 day, so in this case, the two would, coincidentally, be the same. However, if you include two days results, including [Day Nr] in the Group By would result in different output than Grouping only on [ShootersName].

The difficulty can be that sometimes we want to SHOW fields in the query results but not GROUP on those fields. That's when you need a subquery to get the proper Grouping which can be joined to the other fields in the main query. I realize that's probably more than you need at this point, but given the sample data provided, it's worth including the possibility, I think.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Jun 1 2020, 10:56 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

For an Access report I suggest you make another report with a group on Shooters Name. Grouping by name won't work if you maintain the current listing. Also, if you're not printing this, you might want to consider a datasheet or a continuous form with a popup form or subform (datasheet only) that shows the shooters total.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

mike60smart
post Jun 1 2020, 11:24 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hi George & Robert

After your prompts in the right direction I finally have what I need

Attached File  FinalScores.JPG ( 28.67K )Number of downloads: 1

Many thanks everyone

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

projecttoday
post Jun 1 2020, 11:57 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

You're welcome.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    9th July 2020 - 07:02 AM