UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update Query Issue, Access 2016    

OCM
post Sep 23 2019, 07:27 PM
Post#1

Greetings,

I have a status drop down with options: open, closed, closed in DEPART, closed in DARFS etc.
I was tasked to update all status = open for a given fiscal year to closed in DARFS so users do not have to update it manually. The DB is split (be/fe), and I backup the DB before change was made. Can you please advise as to how to proceed?

Attached is a description of what I did:

TIA

Regard,

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Update_query_problem.doc ( 38.5K )Number of downloads: 6

Go to the top of the page

MadPiet
post Sep 23 2019, 07:36 PM
Post#2

The table with some sample data (maybe 20 rows?) would be a lot more helpful than a Word doc.

(Oh this is where I hate Access... A create table script, a handful of INSERT statements, and an expected result would be plenty here!)

arnelgp
post Sep 24 2019, 04:14 AM
Post#3

in design view of your update query, did you specify
the Datatype of Parameters [start date] and [end date] as
Date with Time?

--------------------
Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

OCM
post Sep 24 2019, 12:34 PM
Post#4

Hi, thank you both for the reply post.

Arnelgp,

No, I didn't. Attached is how my query looks (before I clicked "Update"

TIA

Regards,
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sample_query.png ( 9.79K )Number of downloads: 8

RJD
post Sep 24 2019, 01:15 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: PMFJI, but I think, with the slim amount of information provided and no db to test, we are all in "guess" mode right now. Perhaps you could attach a db (all relevant objects, enough data to show the issue, zipped) for us to look at. And step us though what you do to get the incorrect result, and what the correct result should be. This usually results in an "aha" moment and a solution.

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

OCM
post Sep 24 2019, 01:24 PM
Post#6

okay, let me check w/ my manager if it's okay..

TIA

Regards,

arnelgp
post Sep 24 2019, 02:31 PM
Post#7

your critia on REFDT is not correct

you need one colum: REFDT
criteria: >= #7/1/2018#

another column (SHOW is untick): REFDT
criteria <=#6/30/2019#

or if you want only one column for REFDT,
use Between

criteria: Between #7/1/2018# AND #6/30/2019#

--------------------
Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

RJD
post Sep 24 2019, 04:33 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Hmmm ... actually the criteria of >=#7/1/2018# And <=#6/30/2019# is correct. Yes, the "Between ... And" criteria can also be used, but OCM's criteria is correct as well.

See the demo attached.

I think the OP's issue lies elsewhere, and we'll probably need to see a db to discover it ... as requested.

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DateRangeCriteria.zip ( 18.21K )Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

OCM
post Oct 3 2019, 03:27 PM
Post#9

Hi,

Sorry for not following up as I was out of town for training. I discussed w/ my manager about posting a sample db. He decided to update the records manually (since there were only few record). As R3D stated the issue lies elsewhere.
For instance, after I clicked update query, it didn't prompt me:

You are about to update # row(s)
Once you click yes, you can’t use the Undo command to reverse the changes. Are you sure you want to update these records?

I also noticed since we upgraded to Wind 10, few queries that I created in Win 7 were missing.

Regards,

RJD
post Oct 3 2019, 09:25 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

I discussed w/ my manager about posting a sample db. He decided to update the records manually (since there were only few record).

At least you fixed the relevant records for now. However, you may face the same issues again, so it really would be helpful to know the underlying cause for the update not working.

For instance, after I clicked update query, it didn't prompt me:

I assume you meant double-click, in the navigation pane? But, again, without seeing your db this will be very difficult for us to resolve.

I also noticed since we upgraded to Wind 10, few queries that I created in Win 7 were missing.

Hmmm ... I cannot see how this could happen simply be switching OS. The queries are not created in Windows, but in Access, right? Dd you switch Access versions as well? And did you have a db backup to recover?

HTH
Joe

--------------------

OCM
post Oct 4 2019, 12:21 PM
Post#11

Joe, thanks for the reply post.
Dd you switch Access versions as well?
No, I did not switch Access version.
And did you have a db backup to recover?
Yes, only couple of queries that I noticed were missing
Not directly related to what I experienced, but I happened to land on the following online:
Issue with an access query that works on a windows 7 machine and not on a windows 10 machine."]Visit My Website

Regards,

RJD
post Oct 4 2019, 01:25 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

Well, I have never seen nor heard of Access queries missing when the OS changes (others may wish to confirm or correct this, but I have switched from Win7 to Win10 on several machines without such issues). I went to the site you posted and what I read into the discussion is that the OS change might have messed with Access References. That could certainly cause problems with SQL commands.

To check this, go to any module in your db (in the mal-performing setup) and select Tools>>References from the ribbon (after trying a failing query) and see if any references are marked Missing. If so, uncheck that ref and go find the current version of that ref from the list and check it. And see if that fixes the problem.

You should also do a compact/repair on the FE and BE as well, first, to see if that helps.

This seems fixable, but it is hard for us to determine that without your db.

Good luck with your tests, and let us know what you find.

HTH
Joe

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th November 2019 - 06:10 PM