UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Html Code Help - Cell Background Opacity In Fp2k, FrontPage 2000    

TinyGiant2010
post Sep 28 2018, 12:31 PM
Post#1

Please don't tell me to convert to CSS. That isn't helping me solve my problem.

Problem: Using FrontPage2000; I've set a nice color photo to be the page background/watermark.
#1 - I'd like to know if I can set this photo to, in Access property terms, to "Stretch" so that I see this photo only once on the page, and not more than once with other sections of it poking thru; regardless of how big my screen is.

#2 - I've inserted a table onto this page. Inside one cell of the table, I would like to change the background from the nice color photo to one with some opacity to it. I'd like to enable the background to show thru some; but my primary goal is to be able to write a short paragraph that is easily visible.

This is the HTML for my page so far:
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 1</title>
</head>

<body background="file:///C:/Users/steve_000/Documents/pix01a/Daily/Backyard_Background.jpeg" bgproperties="fixed" bgcolor="#008080">

<table border="0" width="100%">
<tr>
<td width="33%"><font color="#00FFFF" size="5"><b>Leave this cell alone</b></font></td>
<td width="33%"></td>
<td width="34%"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="33%"><font color="#00FFFF" size="5"><b>Change this cell to opaque background</b></font></td>
<td width="33%"></td>
<td width="34%"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="33%"><font color="#00FFFF" size="5"><b>Leave this cell alone</b></font></td>
<td width="33%"></td>
<td width="34%"></td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>

</html>

--------------------
Self taught newbie just trying to remember that fields are in tables and controls are on forms.
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Sep 28 2018, 01:33 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

>> Please don't tell me to convert to CSS. That isn't helping me solve my problem. <<

I'd disagree. Opacity is a CSS property.

Really, throw FrontPage away.

What you ask is akin to taking the wheels off your bicycle and asking us to teach you to ride the Tour de France.

shrug.gif

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

TinyGiant2010
post Sep 28 2018, 02:09 PM
Post#3

I hope that made you feel better.
I can only use the tools I have.

My mom taught me to keep my mouth shut if I didn't have something nice to say - I'll bet yours taught you the same.

--------------------
Self taught newbie just trying to remember that fields are in tables and controls are on forms.

cheekybuddha
post Sep 28 2018, 02:24 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Wasn't meaning to be nasty! blush.gif

Only FrontPage won't do it for you.

The only tool you need is a good text editor.

Try saving your html file with this:
CODE
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    <style>
      .bg-img {
        position: fixed;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        width: 100vw;
        height: 100vh;
        background: URL(file:///C:/Users/steve_000/Documents/pix01a/Daily/Backyard_Background.jpeg) center no-repeat #008080;
        background-size: cover;
        z-index: -1;
      }
      .top, .middle, .bottom {
        height: 33vh;
        width: 33vw;
        color: #00FFFF;
      }
      .middle {
        background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6);  /*60% black*/
      }
      p {
        font-weight: bold;
      }
    </style>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class='bg-img'></div>
    <div class='top'>
      <p>Leave this cell alone</p>
    </div>
    <div class='middle'>
      <p>Change this cell to opaque background</p>
    </div>
    <div class='bottom'>
      <p>Leave this cell alone</p>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

hth,

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

HiTechCoach
post Sep 28 2018, 05:09 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

TinyGiant2010,

You can absolutely use CSS in FrontPage. And really should. FrontPage actually uses CSS for the themes. Well, at least with FP2003 does. I don't have FP2000 installed.

All the FrontPage experts I worked with all used CSS. They taught me to edit the custom.CSS file found somewhere inside the _themes folder. I would search for it.

I notice you have an issue with the path for the background image:

CODE
background: URL(file:///C:/Users/steve_000/Documents/pix01a/Daily/Backyard_Background.jpeg) center no-repeat #008080;

If the path starts with file:///C: then it will only work on your PC.

You need to import the image into Frontpage before using it. Otherwise you will have issues once you publish.

PS:

I really liked FrontPage. It supported VBA. I could make it do a lots of cool things. It was a great tool. Unfortunately it was going to be a huge task for Microsoft to update it to create better html to meet the current Web standards.

The good news is the Microsoft's Expression 4 is free.

--------------------
Boyd Trimmell aka Hi Tech Coach ( HiTechCoach.com free Access stuff)
Microsoft MVP 2010-2015 - Access Expert
Inventory Control, Accounting, BPM, and CRM Software Developer
"If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

TinyGiant2010
post Sep 29 2018, 07:56 AM
Post#6

David,
I tried your code and it did not work and/or I wasn't clear in what I want to achieve.
First, the code. To see the photo in it's entirety; the line is this:
<div class='bg-img' style="width: 1281; height: 854">SS</div>
which was in the <body> section

after sizing the photo properly. I don't know anything about the SS. I was in html, then viewed it, stretched the photo to size to show complete photo, went back to html and the SS was there?

Regardless.
After sizing the photo, I had 3 rows underneath, in one rather narrow column, with white backgrounds and nice teal letters.
To see what effect, if any, page background color had, I changed it to red and the teal letters were very visible. No evidence of opacity in desired cell or anywhere.

This is where I may not have been precisely clear on my objectives. Let me try to be more specific.
Using one photo as a page background (or watermark, if it matters). I don't want the same photo over and over on the page. I think the code accomplished this objective.
Next, I need to insert a table on top of this photo (not underneath); a table with transparent borders and transparent cells. This table will likely be 3 columns by 8 rows max.
I would like to be able to select any cell in that column, vary it's opacity (in this case "whiten it up by degrees" until black/dark text appears and is legible). That's all that I want.

Over the years, I've asked for Access help in this forum many times and I can't overstate my gratitude for the answers received. I cannot find any comparable forum for FrontPage brainpower. I put my question here because of the "web" title in the forum. If my post is out of line, a simple message along that line would be appreciated. However, I rolled the dice in hopes that perhaps this issue is one someone here might have had experience with and could offer help or pointers, that's all.

As an aside - I do not like FrontPage2k nor html programming. I've have Expression Web 4 with CSS on my computer for at least 5 years. When I figured out that I could not get MS Access .mdb files to work with MEW4 to build an online catalog with less than 8 search criteria and login security; files which DO work together with FP2k; I don't bother with MEW4. I've downloaded My-SQL and opened it once or twice, but I'm not keen on starting over and I could not figure out the import process. (Try asking for help with THAT and see what you get!)
I have a property database to keep up to date, and I do so quickly and easily using Access.
I have a website to run and populate with database results. Running FP2K and Access .mdb (yes I know it's dumbed down fm Access 2007 to 2000 formats) gets my job done. It does work - it is not broken. If you want to login and see my simple site, I'd be happy to provide credentials to anyone here.
Yes, I've asked for help on this before - many times in fact, sometimes in this very forum. My advice received has run the gamut; from being ignored completely to being offered a bright and shiny completely new IT company to take over my operations. This is why I get a little testy when I start right off by asking you NOT to tell me about a CSS solution - and then I get a CSS solution admonishment. I'm not trying to win the Tour de France; I'm trying to push my trash wagon out to the street and one of my wheels is squeeky. If you can help me (and have the desire to do so) I could use the help. Sometimes though, I feel like the homeless guy playing a guitar and asking for coins - and folks just tell me to "get a job" and walk on by.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 29 2018, 08:20 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

We can feel your pain, and sympathize to some extent.

You have an 18 year old tool, FP2K, that works. And that means you don't want to modernize. Understood. There would be quite a learning curve to do anything else, and probably some investments in newer software (and perhaps hardware) and you just want to keep things as they are. That can happen, of course. It's just that the tiny portion of the web world you now inhabit is pretty isolated and less and less well-known.

So, that also limits the amount of knowledge and help available. I think Boyd (HiTechCoach) is probably one of the more knowledgeable people active here in the area you ask about. His advice is based on direct knowledge, but few others even have a way to reference FrontPage 2000, let alone investigate questions about it.

Good luck with the project, but don't be too hard on those trying to offer their best suggestions, even if they don't really satisfy the need to keep doing the same thing with the same tools for the time being.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

TinyGiant2010
post Oct 3 2018, 11:44 AM
Post#8

Getting the bare bones to get my job done; just in case this ever comes up again. I'd be happy to share code.
Here's the page: http://www.freisco.com/tube_table.htm

The "tube" reminds me that the best help came from a Youtube video.
This post has been edited by TinyGiant2010: Oct 3 2018, 11:46 AM

--------------------

cheekybuddha
post Oct 3 2018, 11:51 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Awesome!

But you had to use CSS to get the opacity!

You can also use it to change the font!

Which bits do you wish to change, and which font do you want to use?

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

TinyGiant2010
post Oct 3 2018, 01:45 PM
Post#10

I got it from here, thanks

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2018 - 07:56 PM