UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Open The Software Without Opening A Db?, Access 2016    

tina t
post Jun 22 2019, 03:55 PM
Post#1

the title says it all, folks, except i feel pretty stupid. there must be an easy way to open A2016 without being forced to open or create a database. but i'm not finding it. it's frustrating as he11 when i just want to open the software and run a compact/repair on a closed database file.

pls somebody tell me what dumb thing i'm doing wrong.

tia
tina
This post has been edited by tina t: Jun 22 2019, 03:55 PM

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 22 2019, 03:56 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Tina. Have you asked Cortana? smile.gif

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 22 2019, 04:02 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

I think you have to hum a few bars of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean"....
Seriously, I think if you press "Esc" at the opening dialog you can get to the basic database container, but I am not sure that's what you expect.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

June7
post Jun 22 2019, 04:56 PM
Post#4

I just tested manual process for this and it creates a new file. Do you really want a new file?

All I did was open Access and select DatabaseTools > Compact and Repair

This post has been edited by June7: Jun 22 2019, 04:58 PM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

gemmathehusky
post Jun 22 2019, 05:54 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I just opened A365, and it offered me a menu, some templates and so on.

There's an option/client settings/open last used database when access starts. Is that checked perhaps?

Can you run a C&R on a closed database? You would need code wouldn't you?

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

ChasPPerth
post Jun 23 2019, 01:13 AM
Post#6

Hi

This can be achieved using VBScript or from within an access application to compact external Access files.

I have attached a vbs file, which performs a compact and repair, without triggering any startup forms or AutoExec macros in the application.

Place in the folder with your Access files you wish to compact and execute. A dialog opens to advise progress and closes when the job is done, so this can also be run from a Scheduled task for automated situations.

The business end of the code (which can also be used in Access) is:

Set objAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
objAccess.DbEngine.CompactDatabase [Full path and file name to be compacted] , [Full path and file name of a temporary or output file]

Hope that helps
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Compact.005.zip ( 1.77K )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
Regards
Chas

ITguaranteed
post Jun 23 2019, 02:56 AM
Post#7

I did it easily with a command line switch.
1. Create a new shortcut to your database.
2. Right click on the shortcut and select properties
3. After the database path and name type
CODE
/compact

eg. c:\path\mydb.accdb /compact

It also self closes which is nice

I used to do this years ago in the Access 2.0 days when a bug in Access required it to be done every time the user exhaled. (well every other day)
I put the shortcut on the most talented users desktop.
This post has been edited by ITguaranteed: Jun 23 2019, 02:59 AM

gemmathehusky
post Jun 23 2019, 03:35 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

if you get users to download and install access run time - make sure they choose the right bit-ness. there are 2 downloads available, one of 32bit access and one for 64 bit

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

tina t
post Jun 23 2019, 05:55 PM
Post#9

thanks to everyone who responded but, wow, my communication skills must be at a low ebb. i'm using A2016, 64-bit (not my idea, and i did recommend against it, for all that was worth), and i just want to open the software without opening a db, or creating a new db.

just like - remember the good old days - when you could open A2003 or A97 just by clicking a desktop shortcut. then from the menu choose Tools | Database Utilities | Compact... a file dialog would open, you'd pick the db file to compact; another file dialog would open, you'd pick the location you wanted to save the compacted db and provide a name for it - and viola, the closed db file would be compacted and saved to the chosen location with the chosen name.

now, when i open the A2016 software, just using a normal, simple desktop shortcut, the only options i get are to open an existing db or create a new one. i can't find a way past those options. if i do one or the other, and then close the open db without closing the software, then i can choose compact/repair and compact a closed db. no problem, there's no need for code, or anything else. i can browse to a file, choose it, and then browse to any location to save the compacted db, just like in the good old days. but - aarrrgh - i have to open/create a db first, to get the software open.

i've tried googling this, and all i get are instructions on how to open a db, which is not what i'm asking, or how to compact an open db - but i've never liked doing that, and my personal best practice has always been to only compact closed dbs, and not overwrite the db file i'm compacting.

seriously, is there really no way to open A2016 without opening or creating a db at the same time?

EDIT:
Seriously, I think if you press "Esc" at the opening dialog you can get to the basic database container, but I am not sure that's what you expect.

@George, i didn't catch this the first time i read thru the responses. thanks, i'll give that a try when i get back to work tomorrow.

I just opened A365, and it offered me a menu, some templates and so on.

@Dave, yes that's what i get. if George's suggestion doesn't work, how do i get past the options to open/create a db, and just get to the software window?

tia
tina
This post has been edited by tina t: Jun 23 2019, 06:01 PM

--------------------

isladogs
post Jun 24 2019, 01:36 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Tina
I think the answer was implied rather than stated explicitly in the earlier responses.
Other than using the Esc key, you can't get past the initial screen in A2016/365 without opening an existing database or creating a new one.
If you do use Esc, you get the menus and an empty database window which will allow you to compact a selected database if you wish

This design decision has been the subject of complaints on the user voice forum but I'm afraid you're stuck with it.
Just one of several reasons why I dislike the 2016 interface and still use 2010.

--------------------

bouncee
post Jun 24 2019, 07:41 AM
Post#11

For bulk compact, i.e. all database files in a folder, see:

Find-all-access-databases-and-compact-and-repair

theDBguy
post Jun 24 2019, 10:43 AM
Post#12

Hi Tina,

Not sure if I followed the instructions correctly, but hitting the Esc key didn't work for me. I see what you mean now, and here's my convoluted way of getting it done.

1. When I open the main software (for my Access 2016 desktop version), I get this screen where I don't see a lot of options to choose from:
Attached File  open.png ( 13.33K )Number of downloads: 0

2. So, if I click on "Open Other Files," then I get this screen where there's a little bit more options:
Attached File  options.png ( 14.76K )Number of downloads: 0

3. If I click on the "Options" menu, then the Options dialog box opens up. But after I close the Options dialog window, I get back to this (New) screen:
Attached File  new.png ( 13.12K )Number of downloads: 0

4. Now, I'm able to click on the "Back" arrow at the top where I am then presented with the main window, and I am now able to click on the Database Tools tab on the Ribbon.
Attached File  cr.png ( 16.52K )Number of downloads: 0

Hope this helps...
This post has been edited by theDBguy: Jun 24 2019, 12:40 PM
Reason for edit: Clarified the Access version I was using

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

isladogs
post Jun 24 2019, 12:21 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

That really is convoluted. This is what I did...
A2019/365 opens to this screen unless you tell it to open the last used database by default
Attached File  Capture.PNG ( 22.79K )Number of downloads: 1

Pressing Esc gives an empty database window from which you can do a compact on any database of your choice
Attached File  Capture1.PNG ( 6.66K )Number of downloads: 1

That's it. Not ideal but a few steps less

--------------------

theDBguy
post Jun 24 2019, 12:41 PM
Post#14

Hi Colin. Thanks. I updated my post to clarify I was using a different version of Access as you, and probably as Tina as well. Cheers!

--------------------

tina t
post Jun 24 2019, 02:10 PM
Post#15

hello Colin and DBguy, the Esc key works as advertised, for me, in A2016 Office 365. hallelujah!!! thank you both, and thanks again to everyone else who read and posted in this thread.

i'm really behind the curve here, as i'm sure many of you are thinking. .accdb format has been around now for - what? - twelve years? so a lot of folks are used to it. me, i've been working with it for two weeks. so i hope y'all will bear with me, and continue to give me a hand when i ask these basic "duh" questions.

many thanks,
tina

--------------------

theDBguy
post Jun 24 2019, 02:17 PM
Post#16

Hi Tina. Nice going. Cheers!

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th July 2019 - 08:52 AM